Deer Antler Kit Help Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

What is the best kit for a Deer Anter pen. Needs to be rollerball by customers request. I have two Antler sections with 10mm holes predrilled that are each approximately 2.5 inches long.

If it is a cap and body pen, I could do two pens with wood/antler combos.

Open to suggestions. Oh, and where would I buy said kit.
Thanks for your help. I haven't done an antler pen, and wouldn't mess with it, but it's a local friend and I'm going to give it a shot.

Martin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Baron/Sedona/Navigator etc. call for 25/64" drill, which is interchangeable with 10mm. The cap end is 15/32". So, you could re-drill one section with the larger drill if you wanted both parts to be antler.

Tim'sTurnings

I usually use deer antler with the rifle/bullet cartridge pen kits. They take a 10mm drill bit. I buy the ones from Rockler and/or Woodcraft. I don't really care for the bullet pen kits from CSUSA, they don't have the lower trim ring at the bottom of the antler. The bullet kits from CSUSA also use a smaller drill bit, if memory serves.
I always replace the Parker pen refill with a gel ink refill. I think they work great, I think I would consider them a roller ball also. IMO.
I have very good luck on selling these and I get good prices too.

Edit: I don't remember how long the blank needs to be right now though.

Last edited:

Jgrden

WE are so close in proximity that I wish we could get together. I use Cigar style kits for these whether they are all antler or Antler/leather, antler/wood or antler bullet. My useful suggestion is the cigar kit. These allow for roller ball, gel and ball point.

leehljp

Member Liaison
For me, just about any pen works with deer horn. It really depends on the size of the horn from which I decide which pen to use with it. I had some caribou horn that I made into a duck call for a grand son.

eldee

For me, just about any pen works with deer horn. It really depends on the size of the horn from which I decide which pen to use with it. I had some caribou horn that I made into a duck call for a grand son.

Well that's certainly a different way to blow a horn.

LeeR

I'd have to echo the recommendation of a bullet pen. With a gel refill, you've got he feel of a rollerball pen. I've made 2 using antler, and both were huge hits with the recipients.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
What is the best kit for a Deer Anter pen. Needs to be rollerball by customers request. I have two Antler sections with 10mm holes predrilled that are each approximately 2.5 inches long.

If it is a cap and body pen, I could do two pens with wood/antler combos.

Open to suggestions. Oh, and where would I buy said kit.
Thanks for your help. I haven't done an antler pen, and wouldn't mess with it, but it's a local friend and I'm going to give it a shot.

Martin
Your missing out on a great material.

Not an answer to your question, but if you would like to experiment, let me know and I'll send you a bit more material to work with.

Landon

Tim'sTurnings

Here is a pic of an antler pen I did with the rifle/cartridge bullet pen kit. I think the deer antler goes very well with this kit. (This particular antler has a yellow tinge to it. It is the only set of antlers I have had that has this kind of coloring.)

Bulletpen2-1.jpg

jzerger

I managed to get enough antler drilled for ONE tube for a comfort or slimline pen. Suggestions for the wood lower tube? The finish on the kit?

I'm thinking ...dark wood (Indian rosewood, walnut maybe) ... with a gold finish? Gun metal would look good but the lighter woods I have are Maple or Poplar. I have some cherry, mahogany, purple heart...
any suggestions?

This is my first antler blank...I blew so many i never thought I'd actually get to this stage.

Is a CA finish on deer antler the way to go?
Thanks

Last edited:

LeeR

I managed to get enough antler drilled for ONE tube for a comfort or slimline pen. Suggestions for the wood lower tube? The finish on the kit?

I'm thinking ...dark wood (Indian rosewood, walnut maybe) ... with a gold finish? Gun metal would look good but the lighter woods I have are Maple or Poplar. I have some cherry, mahogany, purple heart...
any suggestions?

This is my first antler blank...I blew so many i never thought I'd actually get to this stage.

Is a CA finish on deer antler the way to go?
Thanks

This is not antler, it is spalted pecan. But I chose to add a solid acrylic blank to it, since I had ruined the other half (this stuff was like balsa wood, so I saturated this blank to help in turning). I liked the combo well enough that I did another just like it, on a European pen (from Woodcraft, a gold kit with the black acrylic cap). Maybe a combo like this would work for you with your single antler blank. I've only turned two antler pens, and the first polished beautifully with just wet sanding with MicroMesh, followed by a little plastic polish. My second pen's blank had a porous dark patch, so I used CA to just fill and toughen the problem area. Again, just MM, followed by some plastic polish.

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 271

jzerger

Thanks for the advice. I don't think my antler has near the interesting coloring. Is the clip gold or chrome or the gold with black enamel?
Looks great.

LeeR

That pen is a slimline, with the black-striped gold clip. I really am not too fond of slimlines, so the center band is from a Streamline kit, to make it fatter. (I have a supply of the Streamline CBs to replace the standard CB that comes with the slimline.)

socdad

I got on to a deer antler kick a short while back; I did several Jr Gent's (I) … this is my favorite of the bunch.

Attachments

• deer antler cc jr gent.jpg
    deer antler cc jr gent.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 674
  • closed cap jr gent.jpg
    closed cap jr gent.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 154

jzerger

Deer Antler Pen Photo

I finished my first antler pen and would like to show it to you, but I don't know how... can I download my pen photo directly from my camera to this message box?

Top Bottom