Decal problem- need help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muggsy1776

I tried my first decal on a pen and had a problem. The decal was a commercial made water slide for use on model trains. i put the decal on without a problem and let it dry overnight. When i went to wipe on a layer of CA over decal the CA totally disolved it. Any thoughts? The decal was on the cap of a Jr. pen which is going into a presentation box- maybe an overcoat of sealer won't be needed? Any help is greatly appreciated.... oh yeah, and its a fathers day order- yep: problems at the last minute.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Ed this is a little more involved than just your answering your question but it is a really good tutorial I think...

Attachments

• Decal Pens (2).pdf
    896.4 KB · Views: 260

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
The sealer Ronnie is referring to is, to seal the ink after you print your own decals. I wonder if your commercial decals are not compatible with CA?

Hi Chuck... the krylon crystal clear is a protective coating for almost any application. It does not consider what is underneath but is used as an overcoat.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Chuck... the krylon crystal clear is a protective coating for almost any application. It does not consider what is underneath but is used as an overcoat.
From Testors instructions:

[FONT=MyriadMM_565_wt_600_wd][FONT=MyriadMM_565_wt_600_wd]Bonding:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_565_wt_600_wd]

[/FONT][FONT=MyriadMM_400_wt_600_wd][FONT=MyriadMM_400_wt_600_wd]1. After the ink has had a chance to dry, you need to apply a coat of Decal Bonder over[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_wt_600_wd]
[FONT=MyriadMM_400_wt_600_wd]the top of the ink to bond the inks together. This holds the inks together when[/FONT]

[FONT=MyriadMM_400_wt_600_wd]sliding off of the backing paper. Shake Decal Bonder vigorously before using and[/FONT]

[FONT=MyriadMM_400_wt_600_wd]reshake frequently. Avoid spraying when humidity is high.[/FONT]

[FONT=MyriadMM_400_wt_600_wd]2. Spray a light coating over printed decals; do not apply too much Bonder as this may[/FONT]

[FONT=MyriadMM_400_wt_600_wd]cause unwanted results when Decals are applied over complex surfaces.[/FONT]

[FONT=MyriadMM_400_wt_600_wd]3. Allow 2 hours dry time.[/FONT]

[/FONT][FONT=MyriadMM_565_wt_600_wd][FONT=MyriadMM_565_wt_600_wd]Not looking for any arguments. Maybe I read this wrong.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=MyriadMM_565_wt_600_wd]

[/FONT]

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I have tried the Krylon clear spray and the Rustoleum as sealers and, while they're OK, the Testors seems to give me better results. I suppose it is operator error but that has been my experience.
WB

No problem my way Chuck thanks for pointing out the purpose of the testors... then the safer of the options is the krylon crystal clear for it is a protective coating. The surface that it is protecting would be the decal itself... and the substance it is protecting from is ca. I have used it to protect a decal from ca and found it did do the job. Crystal Clear Acrylic - | Krylon

Top Bottom