cutting up acrylic/pr pieces for "crushed" blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I have the typical pile of acrylic and PR cutoffs, all around 1/2" to 1" wide, that I'm trying to figure out how to crush/cut safely.

With PR I'm sure a hammer will do the trick:D, I suspect the acrylics might be a bit trickier. Any ideas?

Any ideas on cutting them into halfway-consistent size pieces, like you see in CSA's "crushed shell" blank?

If I can bust'em up right, I plan on trying to cast them in PR just to see what comes out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Modelmaker

take a piece of pvc cut it to ~6" get a wooden dowel that will fit it but allow it to slide. screw a fender washer on the end of the dowel. place plastic bits into the pvc insert dowel (with washer end) in the pvc hit dowel with hammer several time repeating if nescesary.

alamocdc

I tried a stainless steel mortar & pestle two years ago and it didn't work, so if you've thought about that... I've also use a hammer with the scrap laying on a oiece of plastic to catch the pieces and still lost more than I gained. :( I may figure something out one of these days.

terrymiller

I use pieces bout a 1/4 inch thick and place it between a piece of leather folded in half then use a hammer. I like mine to be around the size of a BB anything much bigger and I dont think they look right to much resin and not enough of the crushed color.

Top Bottom