Cutting copper tubing to lenght

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre-Michel

Hello all,
I am just starting in penturning and I have purchased tubing in lenght of about 8-10 inches long.
What is the best way to cut to lenght
I do not own a band saw ...
is it better to insrt and glue in the blank or cut to lenght before ?
Thanks for your help !
PML

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

I have pretty good luck with a little jig I whipped up and a hack saw. The hack saw does catch a little, but a light touch helps some. Clean up with the disk sander and the a pen mill. The jig is nothing more than a piece of MDF with a slot cut the size of the tube and an intersecting slot the size of the curf on the hack saw blade. Clamp it to the bench and go easy. It comes out a little ruff, but it cleans up easy the way I mentioned above. Just be carefully not to crush the tube. Thats where I learned to "go easy". I even let the tube roll a little some times when the blade wants to catch too much.
I'm sure more ideas will come up. I just needed a way without waiting for any shipments and best of all, it was free.

stevers

James, don't you have trouble with it closing the end of the tube? You know what I mean, rolling the edge over. I spose it doesn't do much more than cutting it with a saw.

hrigg

This is the type of tubing cutter being discussed. It's also available in a mini-version with about 1½" swing. Cutting is done by one wheel pushing the tube against the V where two rollers come together. Very light clean-up--certainly no crushed tubes.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/h0827

Randy_

Originally posted by stevers
<br />James, don't you have trouble with it closing the end of the tube? You know what I mean, rolling the edge over. I spose it doesn't do much more than cutting it with a saw.

The tubing cuttersdon't "close" the ends of the tubes; but they do crimp down the brass tubes a little.....DAMHIK. Someone suggested putting a mandrel inside the tube when cutting them; but you have to be real careful to not damage the cutter or the mandrel. And, of course, that will only work with 7mm tubes.

After my less than satisfactory experience with the tubing cutter, I broke out my trusty Dremel rotary tool and used one of their little cut-off wheels.....worked like a champ!!

chigdon

I have also used that same cutter posted with poor results. It works good for pipe since it is rigid but this is so flexible it is not great. I think cutting it with a saw a little proud and using an end mill (or whatever method you use for blanks) to square it is probably the best IMHO.

Pierre-Michel

Hey guys
Thanks for your advice and feedback.
I have also tried a pipe cutter but not satisfactory in my opinion. However as Randy suggested instead of the mandrel, filling up the tube with the inserts from the kit for squaring off the ends may work fine.
Though I must admit that i did not know of the tool suggested by Blind and think I will go that way.
Now I have to find it in Canada !!!!
Thanks again everybody.
Regards

P.S: by the way I will post my first effort at turning .... What a fun week-end this has been

Pierre-Michel

Here it is !
I ask for your indulgence at this first try !

2007410165534_DSCN5519.jpg
<br />

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Pierre-Michel
<br />Though I must admit that i did not know of the tool suggested by Blind and think I will go that way.
Now I have to find it in Canada !!!!

Pierre, sorry to say that we do not have an Harbor Freight in Canada and to the best of my knowledge they do not ship into Canada either. I personally use a small tube cutter to cut the long brass tubes and use a countersink to 'open' up the inwards collapsed flared wall.

-Peter-[:)]

Randy_

<br />.....Though I must admit that i did not know of the tool suggested by Blind and think I will go that way.....

Pierre-Michel:

As others have mentioned, HF does not have retail stores in Canada; but according to their customer service people, they will ship to Canada if you order on the Internet site. That being said, unless you are on a very tight budget, I would suggest you think about spending a few more dollars and buying a Dremel tool. You can get a corded one with a good selection of accessories from Amazon.com for $30 US and a cordless one with fewer accessories for $2 less. That HF tool is of relatively limited use unless you have some specific needs whereas the Dremel tool is a very versatile tool and has a wide variety of uses. It will grind, cut, polish, sharpen and etc. a wide variety of small items....just handy for all sorts of things.

There are some other ways to cut those tubes that haven't been mentioned depending upon what tools you have available.

1. On a table saw, if you have a sled

2. On a band saw or a scroll saw.( with a simple home-made jig to hole the tube in proper postion)

3. On your lathe if you have a Jacobs chuck or a collet chuck.

4. With a very fine toothed hacksaw or coping saw using a simple jig.

5. And maybe a few others that escape me right now.

In all of the above situations, you probably want to insert a wooden hardwood dowel into the tube before cutting to prevent the tube from deforming. A 1/4" dowel should work; but you might need to lightly sand it as it may be a few thousandths of an inch larger than the ID of the tubes. Hope this gives you a few alternatives that may help solve your problem.[:D]

Chuck Key

It looks like everyone is treating copper tubing and brass tubes as on and the same as far as cutting them off for pens but are there not some basic differences that need to be addressed in the base metals and how they are cut? I usually face my brass tubes off on my metal lathe and put a bevel on the inside and the outside of the tube to get rid of the burr. Can not address the copper tubing since I have never used it for pens.

Chuckie

Originally posted by jjenk02
<br />I have used a copper tubing cutter that you can buy at any hardware store for a few bucks.

I use the mini version to cut tubes.

I insert phillips head screwdriver into the tube, a few quick turns opens up the the flair.

Randy_

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />It looks like everyone is treating copper tubing and brass tubes as on and the same as far as cutting them off for pens but are there not some basic differences that need to be addressed in the base metals and how they are cut.....

I have never heard of copper tubing being used for pen tubes and just assumed that the title was a mistake and we were really talking about brass tubes. Maybe we should check with Pierre-Michel just to be sure?

gclaypool

<br />Hello all,
I am just starting in penturning and I have purchased tubing in lenght of about 8-10 inches long.
What is the best way to cut to lenght
I do not own a band saw ...
is it better to insrt and glue in the blank or cut to lenght before ?
Thanks for your help !
PML

gclaypool

Take your tubing length, say 7mm and put it on your lathe mandrel. Turn on the lathe and score the tubing at whatever small lengths you want with a utility knife. Score deeply but try not to go through it entirely. Then remove it and as you slid it off the mandrel shaft it should snap fairly cleanly or just remove it entirely to snap it. Might take you a couple of times to get the scoring technique, but you also keep from bending the tubing. Don't use a banksaw, it just ruins tubing.

PenPal

Pic enclosed shows how I use a dremel tool to cut brass cartridges and long brass tubing,you could make a tool post for your wood lathe.I also use a cheap 3 wheel bandsaw that has a metal fine blade and it is dead easy as well.A quick file and light ream and face the blank on a sanding disk followed by the normal facing tool.If this sounds time consuming see the difference attention to detail makes.
Cartridge reamers do out and inside as pic shows.

200741185428_DSCF0002.jpg
<br />

%20Photos%20with%20Digital%20Camera%20030%20croped.jpg
<br />

<br />

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom