Cultured Marble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drawknife

I have access to cultured marble, bathroom counter and molded sink. I've looked it up and its in the polyester resin family. Is this stuff turnable?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

Probably gonna depend on how fine the stone is ground and the ratio of PR to stone.

As it has been said. Only way to find out is try it.

Hosspen

My wife says I need more culture. Please let me know if this stuff polishes up nice and how much trouble it is. You may have just given me a way to get more culture in my life. I tried drilling some real marble to put a tube in a while back but it crumbled with me, I'll bet this manmade marble will work better. Thanks!

drawknife

well I have access to it, but I gotta buy it. 53" countertop so if I could pick it up for $25 and it turns nice that would be a good bargain. Thats why I'm trying to see if anyone has any experience with it beforehand.

broitblat

I don't know for certain, but based on what I've seen of all the other "cultured" stones, I'd guess probably yes. As I understand it, marble is a fairly soft stone to begin with. I would think the biggger question is how brittle is the resin rather than how hard is the stone...

Good luck.

-Barry

its_virgil

But it is more stone particles than resin and, unlike solid surface material, it has large voids. That has been my experience with the cultured marble made by a couple of guys here. I tried some and it is very hard. IMHO, not worth it. But hey, give it a try, your sourcc may use a different formula than mine. The shop where the companies here make it smell just like polyester resin...but much stronger.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by broitblat

I don't know for certain, but based on what I've seen of all the other "cultured" stones, I'd guess probably yes. As I understand it, marble is a fairly soft stone to begin with. I would think the biggger question is how brittle is the resin rather than how hard is the stone...

Good luck.

-Barry

Mather323

I have made about 30 pens out of the cultered marble, I like it much better than true stone, just take your time, if you like I still have a few, they are very heavy, I can send you a pic. They finish great[8D]

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Mather323

I have made about 30 pens out of the cultered marble, I like it much better than true stone, just take your time, if you like I still have a few, they are very heavy, I can send you a pic. They finish great[8D]
Why not just post a photo here for all to see? To me, posting a photo here is just as easy if not easier than attaching one to an email.

I have a feeling that the term "cultured marble" can cover a broad range of material, from small dust like pieces to huge 1/4" chunks. Let's see some photos so we know what's being discussed.

jack barnes

Many years ago I worked for a company that manufactured cultured marble, unless the process has changed, IMO it not going to be worth the time or money. It is two different sands mixed with a resin, the shine you see is a clear gel coat that is sprayed on the mold, when dry the mix is poured over the gel coat. Although a the mold is viberated it still has alot of air bubbles in it. With out the gel coat it is a grity dirty looking material.

Jack

I do a lot of tile work and have broke many cultured marble thresholds for doors. Its very brittle stuff, I don't think it will work for pens. It has weak spots or lines to the grain, i guess its the way its made that causes this. Good luck, Victor

Mather323

I was at work when I posted the message and I had not seen the pen in years, my wife has kept it for some reason at her work. So I had her bring it home so I could take a pic, sorry about the poor quality of pic. This pen came from my bathroom sink for Mempis Tn. It is one heavy pen.

20071230124814_cm4.jpg

redfishsc

I just read over this thread, I came across a nice 10" square of black and white cultured marble. Wasn't sure if it would work, but since the plant smelled like PR (as said above) then I can likely do something with it.

Hopefully will be using it this weekend.

redfishsc

Well, tried cutting up what I had, a waste of time, so I pitched it all. I cut it on a bandsaw and got some sparks. After looking at the kerf, there was little bits of pebble in it about the size of grape-nuts (may actually have been grape nuts considering the sparks).

Top Bottom