Couple of questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewfGuy

I have been asked to make a pen and pencil set as an award at our club's regional specialty dog show this fall. All of the pens that I've turned so far are 7mm, so those are the only bits and bushings that I have.
Not that I can't but more, but for now, I'd like to stay with these.

1) Where is a good place to get a pen and pencil set?

2) They also want me to make a box for it. Can you post pics of the boxes that you've made?

Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
With only 7mm bushings, your limited to slimline pens, IIRC the slimline pencil takes a different bushing. That said, if your going to have to buy another set of bushings, I would suggest looking into the Perfect Fit from Arizona Silhouette or Berea and replace on of the ink refills with a Schmidt pencil insert, also available from the same sources. The PF is a very easy to turn kit and does not require a tenon like the European (it get parted off down to the brass tube).As for a box, you can usually buy a nice box for less that what it would take to make one.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by NewfGuy

2) They also want me to make a box for it. Can you post pics of the boxes that you've made?

Hope that a few of these inspire you with some ideas.
-Peter-:)

200818233518_P4230011.jpg

200818233541_P7090001.jpg

20081823365_P8110017.jpg

200818233638_P9110010.jpg

NewfGuy

Another Noob question:
I was just looking at the Perfect Fit Convertibles and it says that the kit requires Drill Size "O" and Mandrel "B". Are those different than the 7mm stuff that I have been using?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by NewfGuy

Another Noob question:
I was just looking at the Perfect Fit Convertibles and it says that the kit requires Drill Size "O" and Mandrel "B". Are those different than the 7mm stuff that I have been using?
In a word ---- yes.
The "B" mandrel and bit is available from Arizona Silhouettes or Berea,
or you can purchase the bit separate elsewhere. You might want to look into getting this bit set from Harborfreight -
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1611
It has just about any but you will need except metric, and if you measure with your calipers, you can get real close.

jskeen

You CAN do a pen and pencil set with just the 7mm drill and bushings you already have. I posted one here.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30444

However..... the slimline pencil kit is IMHO nowhere the quality of the perfect fit with a pencil insert. For one thing the tubes are different lengths, and while the bushings are the same size, this causes the centerband and top of the clip to not be aligned, FWIW.

The "matching" slimline pen and pencil kits are from berea, and probably sold at all the usual outlets. I got mine at woodcraft. Be careful when you order though, cause there are a couple of different kits with different centerbands and clips, so you want to make sure you get the right ones.

James

gatornick

wood-of-1kind- What do you use for hinges on your single pen boxes? Are they just some kind of dowels, or are they hinges? Thanks, Nick

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by gatornick

wood-of-1kind- What do you use for hinges on your single pen boxes? Are they just some kind of dowels, or are they hinges? Thanks, Nick

Nick, I use "pop rivets" as hinges. Real inexpensive and you can trim the pin to any desired length.

-Peter-:)

Top Bottom