Corian pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I just got a box of corian blanks from massman. They are all nice sized so you could make a big pen from them. I got them really quick too.

Before I begin turning them (never did corian before) any tips? I assume they will turn like truestone or gemstone but not sure.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I just got a box of corian blanks from massman. They are all nice sized so you could make a big pen from them. I got them really quick too.

Before I begin turning them (never did corian before) any tips?
I assume they will turn like truestone or gemstone but not sure.
While I have never turned either/or, I have turned a lot of Corian®. Turning it is a lead-pipe cinch. Sharp tools as always. You will be amazed at the simplicity of turning it. Way easier than any hard hard wood you may have ever turned.

attachment.jpg

This is an Elegant Beauty in Cinnabar Corian®. It's amazing!

Attachments

• 238 (Small).jpg
    238 (Small).jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,197

RAdams

Banned
yeah that cinnabar doesn't look like the tiny bit that i have!

Ditto on the sharp tools... It will dull them FASSSST.

bruce119

Mack that Cinnabar is way nice for corian I would like to find some myself. I must have over 100 pounds of corian. It turns very easy I do have a metal lathe that does most of the work but finish it up with a skew. I would sand the blanks to round on a disk sander then using the tip of your skew and/or a scraping action. Corian polishes up great. Just go through the numbers wet sanding micro mesh and finish off with a plastic polish like Novus 2 shines up like glass no need for CA.

Bruce

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Yeah what Bruce said.

I have found a few types that seem to kind of choke up my drill like wet putty. But generally, it's really nice to work with - with sharp tools. Can't emphasize that enough.

RAdams

Banned
And another thing. If you are making a small pen, like a slimline, BE CAREFUL when you press your parts... this stuff LOVES to crack when it gets thin.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Mack,
Where did you find that gorgeous Cinnabar at?
Hi Rob; I really have no idea where it specifically came from. In a trade from someone I can only assume.

I have a few chunks of what I think is Cinnabar, but in the large piece, and until it is turned and polished, I can't say if that's it or not.

randyrls

I just got a box of corian blanks from massman.
Before I begin turning them (never did corian before) any tips? I assume they will turn like truestone or gemstone but not sure.

One tip is that corian will not give even a least little bit. Pressing fittings in can crack the corian barrel, especially on tihinner barrels. I make mostly 7mm tube pens from corian. and I usually "expand" the last part of the brass tube so the fittings are a slip fit. I then CA glue the fittings in. You may need to add a tape wrap on the bushings to make sure they are centered. Use polyurethane glue as it has some give to it.

Hope this helps...

aggromere

I turned one into a pen. Will post pics later. It drilled like a dream I thought and I had no trouble at all turning it. (tools very sharp). It finished very nice. All in all i thought it was a very good material for turning.

jkeithrussell

Agree with the tips posted above. Easy to work with, but dulls tools fast, breaks sometimes for no apparent reason, and can crack during assembly. If you glue it up, use thick CA, even clamping pressure, and let it set up overnight. Slow the speed down during sanding to keep it from getting too hot. Overall, very easy to work with.

Top Bottom