Closed end help agian..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Ok, so far so good. Using the method of filing 3 flat spots in a triangle pattern on the last 1/4" of my mandrel rod I have a awesome looking angle cut cocobolo pen body for an El-Toro that is long enough for a FP converter pump. I have just 2 steps left. A) I have to drill the hole larger for the pump (I PRAY that it does not blow up here) B) I have to press it togather.

Now I plan to try to enlarge the hole by hand so wish me luck there. However, how about some methods to save the finish on the end of the pen? I applied a straight CA and it has survived the whole sanding & polish. I plan to let it dry before pressing for a while, but how long and what to put on my press to help save the finish?

Here is a sneak preview of the body... btw, that is the pen mill sleeve inside the pen, I use them when putting on a CA finish. I found one of my biggest issues was stuck bushings and "edge chip". I have had great luck like this so far. On the next one, I plan to use it as a drill guide to drill the 1/4" deep hole for the mandrel to thread into. My hole is a hair off for some odd reason.
114071.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clewless

Wrap the pen in some non-skid foam material so you can hold it without slipping or marring.

Put the drill bit into either the loose drill chuck from your lathe or the chuck on the DP....BY HAND...turn the chuck to finish making the hole the correct size...speed is not a positive thing here.

PS - the blank looks great.

its_virgil

Nice looking blank and congrats on the accomplishement. But may I ask one question? Why did you not do all of the drilling for and fitting of the converter prior to turning the closed end barrel for the El Torro? Or, am I missing something?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Ok, so far so good. Using the method of filing 3 flat spots in a triangle pattern on the last 1/4" of my mandrel rod I have a awesome looking angle cut cocobolo pen body for an El-Toro that is long enough for a FP converter pump.

Firefyter-emt

Simply because I am cheap... The method I am using requires that I have a hole just under 1/4" for the pen mandrel to thread into. I have not measured the converter, but I am sure it needs to be larger to fit the last tip into that hole. If I made the blank long enough to fit the converter, plus the 1/4" to thread the mandrel on it I would add maybe 1/2" to the length of the pen. I am pretty sure by hand drilling to hole to enlarge I can do that. I am just leary because I will have no idea how close I am getting to the outside of the blank. Like clewless said, I do plan to hand drill the hole bigger (I am crazy, not stupid!) but it still could back fire. At that point I should still be able to save it, just remill it to a standard posting cap. It's the pressing togather part that make me nervous. Will it shear off, will I mar the CA finish??

Stay tuned for the next episode when we find out! [;)]

Firefyter-emt

Thanks William, that worked perfect! [:D]

Here it is, I took the plunge and put it togather. I wanted to wait untill after the cap was done, but I figured this would give it a little time for the CA to fume out. Now what I did do after a butt clenching job of making the holes larger I went one size up from 1/4" and 7cm deep and when that was done I filed the tube a little bit to "loosen" it just a little bit. I then placed a tiny doll pillow (don't tell my daughter) on my press and slipped it in. It started to **** to one side, but I caught it and made it right.

So the hard part is done... Now to make bushings for the cap so I can turn the other half!

115071.jpg

bjackman

Lee,
Sorry I'm a little late chiming in here. I like to file out the ID of the tube just a little more than you did to where whatever pen kit part I'm using is just barely a slip fit into the tube, then I use a little epoxy to assemble the pen. It keeps me from having to wait until everyone is asleep so I can steal little pillows. [:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom