Clip on my baron spins- why, oh why?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I have a baron pen I made for myself and I've noticed that the clip part can be spun around the pen. Well not really spun like you can just flick it and it spins wildly, but if I'm just sort of fiddling with it, I can just move the clip around and around on the pen top.

I'm not sure if it's always done this or not- I've been using the pen for several months, but I don't use it daily or anything. I think it's not something brand new though, but for the longest time, I thought that I was just spinning the whole cap and didn't realize that the rest of the cap wasn't moving and the clip was[:0][:0]. I know- [V]stupid, [xx(]stupid, [B)]stupid... especially on a pen where the cap is screwed on!

Anyway, anyone else have this happen and anyone have any idea why it might do this? Did I not push all of the pieces on that end of the cap together tight enough?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Put in in the press and see if a little pressure improves it.
If it does you have a choice.
Dismantle the top and put a DROP of glue in the tube and re-press the finial in.
Let it cure for at least 24 hours to air out if you use CA,(The components will discolor when the are installed if the CA fumes do not air out(DAMHIKT).
Your other option is to repress it every once in a while.
Normally the manufacturer is blames for this(poor tolerences etc...)
I believe it comes from being in a hurry when using the pen mill and the end of the tube gets reamed out a little.

Randy_

Loctite and epoxy are the other 2 adhesives commonly used to solve this problem. To the best of my knowledge, neither has been reported to cause problems with discoloration of the hardware or the finished barrels.

chigdon

I have made a LOT of Barons and I do run into this problem a lot. Sometimes it is because the cap does not fit tightly enough in the barrel and it backs out some causing it to spin and sometimes it spins no matter how tight you set it. I have started putting just a very small drop of CA when I notice they are at all loose.

SteveRoberts

Originally posted by chigdon
<br />I have made a LOT of Barons and I do run into this problem a lot. Sometimes it is because the cap does not fit tightly enough in the barrel and it backs out some causing it to spin and sometimes it spins no matter how tight you set it. I have started putting just a very small drop of CA when I notice they are at all loose.
I make a LOT of barons too, not sure who makes more (chris or I) and have a similar issue. I now make it a practise to use a tiny drop of CA on the inside of the cap and spray activator on the finial and quickly press it in. I then don't have to wait long to assmeble.

Steve

I have had the same experience on almost every one I've made (more than a few dozen). The finial has always been a snug press for me in the tube. I think the problem is that the hole in the clip is too large for the finial. The clips on some other kits fit tightly on the finial - they won't go all the way on the finial without being pressed on - does this make sense??
I've had success with epoxy and glue all of them now. I don't like using CA because if I get any on the fitting or finished barrel the only thing that will get it off is acetone and we all know what that does to finishes.

chigdon

Originally posted by SteveRoberts
<br />
Originally posted by chigdon
<br />I have made a LOT of Barons and I do run into this problem a lot. Sometimes it is because the cap does not fit tightly enough in the barrel and it backs out some causing it to spin and sometimes it spins no matter how tight you set it. I have started putting just a very small drop of CA when I notice they are at all loose.
I make a LOT of barons too, not sure who makes more (chris or I) and have a similar issue. I now make it a practise to use a tiny drop of CA on the inside of the cap and spray activator on the finial and quickly press it in. I then don't have to wait long to assmeble.

Steve

I think I can settle the tie pretty easily . . . Steve makes more.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You can use Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol to clean up any Loctite you get on the pen. It won't damamge any finish except shellac, and it works for that too if it has aged a couple days and you are careful.

I like the blue Locktite because it isn't as permanent as the red if I ever want to take the pen apart.

Chuck B

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />You can use Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol to clean up any Loctite you get on the pen. It won't damamge any finish except shellac, and it works for that too if it has aged a couple days and you are careful.

I like the blue Locktite because it isn't as permanent as the red if I ever want to take the pen apart.

Russ, this just happened to me wth the last 6 Woodcraft slimline kits I bought. & I ruined 3 of the finials from CA glue. I want something that is permanent. I thought of using gorilla glue but I'm afraid of it foaming out of the top and/or bottom. I just looked on the Locktite web site but I couldn't find any different type of glue either red or blue?

Randy_

Originally posted by recon
<br />.....I couldn't find any different type of glue either red or blue.....

Try this link. It should solve your problem.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=10&SubID=48

I think you were probably looking for "glue" and should have been looking for "threadlockers."

BTW, the correct spelling of the name of the material is "<b>LOCTITE</b>."

angboy

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by recon
<br />.....I couldn't find any different type of glue either red or blue.....

Try this link. It should solve your problem.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=10&SubID=48

I think you were probably looking for "glue" and should have been looking for "threadlockers."

BTW, the correct spelling of the name of the material is "<b>LOCTITE</b>."

Thanks for clarifying that Randy- when I went to look for Loctite there were probably 20 different ones to choose from and all seemed to be saying they were basically super glue, so I was really confused! Any opinion on the different colors shown in your link, or suggestions of which one to get?

Randy_

DSA: I have used quite a bit of Loctite over the years; but never tried it on pens sooooooo...... I suspect that all three colors will work just fine; but I agree with Lou that my choice would be blue. Reason being that it will be much more useful around the house for dealing with common home owner's chores. For most pen turners, a bottle of Loctite will last them 2 lifetimes of repairing pens. But you will find all sorts of household things to use it up: loose cabinet knobs, nuts and bolts on bicycles, lawn mowers and automobiles, etc., etc., etc. For most household chores, blue is a better choice as any thread that is sealed up can be undone with a little extra muscle power whereas using the red will pretty much give you a permanent repair that can't be undone without a lot of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom