Classic American Posting Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

I just finished a WC Classic American RB. The lower barrel screws into the upper barrel fine for the closed position, but the lower barrel finial will not post into the upper barrel in the open position. I tried another pen made from the same kit. It works fine. I then checked the OD on the finial of both pens. Both look identical at .345". I am seeing is what appears to be a little "mushrooming" where the finial is inserted into the black plastic coupling. I believe this is what is hanging up. Not much I can do about that, but can I open up the ID of the brass tube on the upper barrel to gain clearance? If so, what would be the best procedure?

Attachments

• 2011-06-11 15-34-45.706.jpg
    2011-06-11 15-34-45.706.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

Never mind. This turned out to be one of those "toss it and go on with life" projects. I attempted to ream out the tube with a drill bit that was about .010" larger. Worked well for about 1/4" and I was making progress, as the finial was going in well as far as I had reamed. The bit caught and spun the tube inside the blank. The blank also cracked. Salvaged the hardware, but the tube and blank went to the trash can.

EarlD

Bob, I attempted that one time and the bit actually broke in half right at the end of the tube. Scared the poo out of me. At least I knew I had the blank firmly clamped to the drill press.

Earl

Bobalu

Those pen kits are notorious for breaking anyhow, especially the front section. And..they are kinda ugly..these are the reasons you rarely see them in the SOYP.

Jeff, I agree with you on the poor quality and kinda ugly. It wouldn't be my choice of a personal pen, either. But some people have different tastes and someone asked me to make one, so I give them what they want.

arw01

I've made three of those in the fountain pens, and not had an issue with posting. I did once make the bare tube too long and that really fouled up things. Figured out that I had a small dremel cone shaped grinding bit that would remove the inside of the tube, but not the threads and got it fixed up.

Just finished up a leopard wood fountain pen of that style yesterday. Had some tearout at the absolute edge, so it's a personal pen. :(

Top Bottom