Churchill clone, "Apollo", a nice PSI suprize!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I just recieved in the mail PSI's "Apollo", their answer to the Churchill.

As I was posting a moment ago on the Cambridge and the plastic coupler, I realized that I had noticed that the Apollo had a METAL coupler.

I have not made this pen yet, but by looking at the kit, I have observed:

1)The accent bands on the Apollo are more showy than the more subtle (and elegant IMO) Churchill, but if done as a closed-end, the rear accent band is left off and would likely give it a more subtle look. You may even be able to leave off the center accent band like you can with the Baron.

2) The coupler is metal. This one won't break like the Churchill.

3) Typical PSI, they put that STUPIDLY UGLY "TN" stamp on the clip of the Tigold kit. I personally think this REALLLY cheapens the look of the kit. I can't tell by the pics if the Rhodium pen has any stamp on it. I wish PSI would stop doing this.

4) This one has a posting cap.

5) The fountain nib looks nice, real nice. I hope it writes as nice. Once I make this pen I will let y'all know, but it will be a few weeks.

I hope the plating is durable. I have heard a number of people complain about PSI platings (even the more durable ones), but I have been having a lot of problems with platings from some of the more "reputable" high-end kits pitting anyhow, so I figure it can't get any worse.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Interesting... Have you had a chance to see if the Churchill nib holder screws into the thread coupler? What about tube size?? Is there any slim to none chance that the thread coupler would even be so lucky to swap over to the new Cambridge kit?? The PSI kit is not bad, but I am not a fan of the metal plating on the nib holder, but the centerband looks nice from what I can see. Any chance to get some close-ups??

redfishsc

Sorry that I am painfully slow at responding.

I have not had a chance to actually make this kit STILL, but I will do it soon.

I had not thought about swapping the nib coupler with the Churchill/Cambridge. Not a bad idea to try--- I'll be sure to try it when I get that kit out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom