Choices can be overwhelming

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pjohnson

Good evening folks

I am still new venturing down this pen path. So far, 5-6 pens have come off the lathe and I have tried my hand at some castings. To date I have turned slim lines and euros from woodcraft. Of the two, the euro is my preference - tenon and all. The weight and feel is much sturdier on the euro.

As I read many many posts and see links that others have posted the choices of pen kits can be overwhelming. In addition to the many styles there are numerous suppliers that appear to be selling the same pens with a wide price differential.

I have found:
Woodcraft
PSI
Berea
Timberbits
Wood whimsies

To name just a few. Is the main difference personal preference and price point? How do you choose your supplier and which kits to make.

Sorry for the ramble - still trying to get grounded in the options.

Many thanks for your input.

PJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I personally use:

Classic Nib
Exotic Blanks
Indy~pen~dance

And then if I can't find what I want on one of those sites, then I go check out the sites you mentioned, but they aren't near as fast in getting the product to you as the first three I mentioned in my opinion.

Randy Simmons

First of all, good for you for giving it all a try. I totally get the confusion... there's a lot out there.

here are my go-to sources for pen kits and cool blanks:
exoticblanks.com
classicnib.com
woodturnerscatalog.com

The first two are owned and operated by a few of our own esteemed members

For high quality exotic burl blanks, check out burlsource.com. Robert Doyle is a great guy to work with and has awesome products. I am actually somewhat surprised that more turners have not heard of him. Check it out guys!

I make my vendor choices based on pricing and selection, mostly. I find it very worth it to get everything I need at a one stop shop rather than to pick and choose from ten different vendors. shipping time and service is important, but, at the end of they day they have to sell me what I need. The four I listed above are very good at those things.

For pen kits it can be a little trickier. You have to know your sell point, your customers (if you happen to be lucky enough to have those:wink:), what you like, etc. Some guys do nothing but slim lines and sierras and they are totally cool with that. Some guys make emperors and majestic and gents and that suits them just fine. Just make sure to stay inside your budget :biggrin:

I also like to read (and write) reviews. Our forum has one that I contribute to regularly, and most vendors will have a review section as well. I encourage you to try them all, and find what you like. Someone, somewhere, will pay you to make those, whatever they are. Make sure you show off your creations on the "show off your pens!" forum!

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me :D

Randy

This is just my warm up ramble. :wink:

Last edited:

Draconias

Also check to see if there are any woodturning clubs near you. For the price of membership, many clubs get a discount at the various stores. Our club does a group purchase each month with Craft Supplies, and they give us a 13% discount off the total order and the shipping is free. We just have to order a minimum of $1000 for the group order. Plus the clubs have a wealth of information during their demonstration, tutoring and library of book and videos.

Ron

juteck

Also check to see if there are any woodturning clubs near you. For the price of membership, many clubs get a discount at the various stores. Our club does a group purchase each month with Craft Supplies, and they give us a 13% discount off the total order and the shipping is free. We just have to order a minimum of $1000 for the group order. Plus the clubs have a wealth of information during their demonstration, tutoring and library of book and videos.

Ron

+1 on the local club, whether an AAW chapter or a local pen turners club.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good evening folks

I am still new venturing down this pen path. So far, 5-6 pens have come off the lathe and I have tried my hand at some castings. To date I have turned slim lines and euros from woodcraft. Of the two, the euro is my preference - tenon and all. The weight and feel is much sturdier on the euro.

As I read many many posts and see links that others have posted the choices of pen kits can be overwhelming. In addition to the many styles there are numerous suppliers that appear to be selling the same pens with a wide price differential.

I have found:
Woodcraft
PSI
Berea
Timberbits
Wood whimsies

To name just a few. Is the main difference personal preference and price point? How do you choose your supplier and which kits to make.

PJ
Look at the sites, find kits you like the looks of then check to see if other's carry the same or similar kits at a better price. There are a lot of vendors, some with a large selection and others with only a few there are one or two who offer only American Made.

There are wide variations in price between vendors and also within some specific vendors offerings. Some will tell you that higher priced means better ---- but that is no more so than in any other product, paying $40 for a shirt does not guarantee you will get a better shirt than if you pay $20. Price usually says as much about where you buy something as it says about the product.

navycop

I usually get my supplies from smitty'spenworks. Fast service and good prices. If I need a kit real quick that I don't have in inventory I go to Woodcraft. Also pjohnson I found your article very interesting..

joefrog

lorbay

Good evening folks

I have found:
Woodcraft
PSI
Berea
Timberbits
Wood whimsies

PJ

I personally use:

Classic Nib
Exotic Blanks
Indy~pen~dance
Smittys
CSUSA
Lee Valley

Lin.

joek30296

Good evening folks

I have found:
Woodcraft
PSI
Berea
Timberbits
Wood whimsies

PJ

PJ...all good choices for vendors. But you should add Exoticblanks to your list. Good products, great service, and Ed and Dawn are just good folks to deal with. And, hey, they usually throw a freebee in with your order.
Just my 2 cents.

joe

Soup

Good evening folks

I have found:
Woodcraft
PSI
Berea
Timberbits
Wood whimsies

PJ

PJ...all good choices for vendors. But you should add Exoticblanks to your list. Good products, great service, and Ed and Dawn are just good folks to deal with. And, hey, they usually throw a freebee in with your order.
Just my 2 cents.

joe

+1 on Exoticblanks. I only started using them a few months ago, and I don't know of any reason to try anyone else in the immediate future. Less than a week before Christmas, and I still had my order in 2 days, and a couple of nice "freebies" as well!

I use

CSUSA woodturnerscatalog.com
Exotic Blanks
WoodCraft

mostly. I really like the Jr. Gent 2 so CSUSA seems like the place to get them but the Atrax at Exotic Blanks uses the same tubes and bushings and it is a great hardware set also. Another great kit that Exotic has is the Triton and it uses the same bushings as the other 2 also!

Top Bottom