Chip in clear resin pen (CBP), repairable?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tn-Steve

One of my co-workers had a small accident with his Circuit board pen, and there is now a very small chip / flaw in it (smaller than the tiny pieces that come out when you get shatter) I'm thinking that I can just disassemble the pen, drip some thin CA into it, and then resand and repolish it.

Any tips, advice, suggestions. He feels really bad about it, said that I'd try and fix it for him, but also made sure that I couldn't promise results.

Thank,

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

PM Bruce119 for the best tips I would think since he used to make them from scratch. I am with you though and would think refinishing it with ca should do it but I would not chance it, my luck isn't that good.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
CA WILL work --- sometimes.

CLEAN thoroughly first. Don't let the CA develop a bubble.

I have ALWAYS done this before the pen was assembled, while I could still sand and polish. So, my exact technique would not work here. But, if you get it to FILL the hole with no crud under it, it will be invisible, when sanded and polished.

Tn-Steve

Ed

That's what I was sort of thinking, clean it out good with some DNA, build up the CA with a very small probe to apply it, and then re-wetsand it out, polish and should be good to go. I've got an extra Circuit Board Blank in my stock, I may just turn that one, swap it out, and then use the old one for a personal pen (especially if I can fix it).

Since it's a sierra, it's not like it's that hard to pop off the cap and be back at the blank again. Gotta love that about them.

This guy is a good guy, and has the very real potential for a lot of business coming thru him, so I'm going to go an extra mile for him. (and my profit more than covers the extra blank)

Steve
(and yes Ed, I am going to order some of your blanks, once I get where I can turn them and not get shatter)

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed

That's what I was sort of thinking, clean it out good with some DNA, build up the CA with a very small probe to apply it, and then re-wetsand it out, polish and should be good to go. I've got an extra Circuit Board Blank in my stock, I may just turn that one, swap it out, and then use the old one for a personal pen (especially if I can fix it).

Since it's a sierra, it's not like it's that hard to pop off the cap and be back at the blank again. Gotta love that about them.

This guy is a good guy, and has the very real potential for a lot of business coming thru him, so I'm going to go an extra mile for him. (and my profit more than covers the extra blank)

Steve
(and yes Ed, I am going to order some of your blanks, once I get where I can turn them and not get shatter)

Steve,

I will look forward to your patronage. But, even for my customers, that's the best answer I can give!!:smile-big::smile-big::smile-big:

mick

Steve, just as Ed says it can be fixed and be undetectable.....but here's my 2 cents.
Use thin CA and don't get in a hurry. build up with several coats and WHATEVER YOU DO....DON'T USE ACCELERATOR., you'll end up with bubbles!
If however you do trap a small bubble while the CA is not set you can "extract" it using a small straight pen...or a bristle from a small brush. Just push it into the bubble and draw it slowly out. Bubble should come with it.

bruce119

A couple of things I can think of. Like the others said CA if it is not too large and doesn't have too bad a crack or fracture. If it had a crack or fracture I would use thin CA to try and wick in the crack. Oh make sure it is clean alcohol and air blow it out good. Then you could fill it a little at a time with med. or thick CA.

You didn't say were it chipped. If it was in the center somewhere then the above would be the way to go. Also something to consider if it was on the very end you can certainly shorten these kits with no problem. You can go quite a bit shorter with no effect on the function of the pen other than it being a bit shorter.

So if the chip was on the end I would sand it shorter then turn it down just a bit to get it to fit again and refinish.

Anything I can do to help just let let me know.

Bruce

Top Bottom