Celtic knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

If I am using woods only, I like to use yellow carpenter's glue. There is no stroger glue than that for woods. Now If I am doing it in acrylics or using aluminum as a enhancer than I will use epoxy and no CA. I am never in a hurry when making any kind of segmented blank. Bad things happen when you hurry.

If you choose to use CA. Med CA will work. Thin soaks too fast into the endgrain and thick is overkill. Just my opinion:).

Tim'sTurnings

I have used thick CA, gorilla glue and epoxy and all have worked pretty good. The CA seemed to let loose quicker with even a small amount of heat. Make sure you have your clamps ready so you can clamp tightly, right after applying your glue and let the glue joints set overnight.

The main concern is with the clamping and drilling. If you drill too fast any type of glue joint will melt and fail. DAMHIKT. Drill very slowly and don't let the blank get any warmer than you have to. This has been my experience with segmenting blanks.
Tim.

Edit: I would agree with John that titebond or the like would work well with wood segments. I used plastic, aluminum, brass and copper along with the wood blank and in my opinion, like John, the yellow glue wouldn't work on those.

Last edited:

knowltoh

I use Titebond II OR III. Whatever you use be sure to go very slowly to avoid heat build up when drilling. Heat will soften the glue.

EagleTa2

And when you do drill the blank slowly, make certain the bit doesn't wander and you drill dead center all the way through...

Otherwise your knot will be off center and lopsided...

Good luck!

Geo

Top Bottom