Casein- are these air holes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eliasbboy

This is my first time turning casein. Okay, second if you include the cracked blank from drilling too fast, but I digress.

I am trying to make a cape for a Jr. Gent, and this is the second attempt, cut from a different blank than the first. I did not get pics of the first, but there were WAAAY more holes.

This second blank was hole free until I got farther into the blank.

Is this normal? I did a search and read a dozen threads about casein but they all dealt with chip out from tools not being sharp.

I can shave my legs with my skew. I'm OCD with sharpening. I went as slow as possible. I could have sanded with MM and made faster progress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5CDD8A49-7B1B-44CA-8CF5-208F3F746F4A-2618-0000038B2724973A.jpg

C5009E7D-0CD2-47C1-86C1-5375533406DE-2618-0000038B2111C7AF.jpg

6168CB34-123D-40B2-A5FD-83E293225056-2618-0000038B1A9A2171.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

First are these Casein or alternative Casein, the lines look too straight to be Casein, which would mean that when in it was made it being a resin those are holes from the manufacturing.

eliasbboy

First are these Casein or alternative Casein, the lines look too straight to be Casein, which would mean that when in it was made it being a resin those are holes from the manufacturing.

I believe it's regular casein. I ordered some form CSUSA and Penn State. I'm in the garage now working, turning a THIRD blank for a different pen and I'm getting the same thing.

Last edited:

eliasbboy

I just came in to look up my order info, and nothing says "alternative".

The description reads "Casein naturally derived from milk proteins".

plano_harry

Certainly look like air holes. I posted a couple of months ago about tiny pinholes in real casein that are dark once they get any sanding dust or CA inside. Did not have a problem with alt casein.

OKLAHOMAN

Then definitely holes during the manufacturing process, I would tell my supplier so that they would know and maybe pull from their inventory that batch and if one of the vendors on the IAP I'm sure they will replace them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Exotics is the only source for alt casein. CSUSA and PSI both have casein, now.

Yes, I would say those are air bubbles. They are round. Turning mistakes are not likely to be round.

eliasbboy

Then definitely holes during the manufacturing process, I would tell my supplier so that they would know and maybe pull from their inventory that batch and if one of the vendors on the IAP I'm sure they will replace them.

That's weird. It happened with two different sources. CSUSA and PSI. I'm turning the one from PSI right now and getting the same problem.:frown:

eliasbboy

Exotics is the only source for alt casein. CSUSA and PSI both have casein, now.

Yes, I would say those are air bubbles. They are round. Turning mistakes are not likely to be round.

Well, I didn't know much about casein BEFORE ordering it, I just liked the look. Not that I know all that I do, I'll be ordering the alt. I just wish I could salvage these.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You have better than a 50-50 chance of getting a replacement from CSUSA. PSI may be a little more difficult. But there should not be bubbles in the casein.

FWIW,
Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

That's weird. It happened with two different sources. CSUSA and PSI. I'm turning the one from PSI right now and getting the same problem.:frown:

It's actually not so weird. The material is made by the same company. Two different sources in the US, buying from one source in Europe (who once told me I would be exclusive, but we won't go there).

eliasbboy

It's actually not so weird. The material is made by the same company. Two different sources in the US, buying from one source in Europe (who once told me I would be exclusive, but we won't go there).

Thanks for all the info! I'm going to try and email them both tonight, or call tomorrow. This kinda screwed me. I was supposed to have my first "show" type thing at my daughters school Friday. It's just a family fun night, as they call it, and they requested some vendors.

BTW, here's the last blank I had. Same thing, even worse.:at-wits-end:

4AF04C01-2C36-459E-B033-2C00D7F468A3-2618-0000039CF9D0B3EE.jpg

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Don't be surprised if they ask you to return the blank---I would.

I've never seen that in over ten years of selling casein. They SHOULD return it to the manufacturer so it does not happen again.

FWIW

eliasbboy

Don't be surprised if they ask you to return the blank---I would.

I've never seen that in over ten years of selling casein. They SHOULD return it to the manufacturer so it does not happen again.

FWIW

I JUST hung up with CSUSA. They are shipping out two replacement blanks tomorrow!:banana:

I offered to return the unused portion and the turned sections, or send pics and they didn't need either.

I guess I can't complain about that!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Then it is unlikely their next shipment will be any better, isn't it?

(Again, that would be MY thought pattern---bear in mind CSUSA is only a couple hundred TIMES my size and has just a couple decades more experience---personally, I'd listen to THEM!!):redface::redface::redface:

eliasbboy

(Again, that would be MY thought pattern---bear in mind CSUSA is only a couple hundred TIMES my size and has just a couple decades more experience---personally, I'd listen to THEM!!):redface::redface::redface:

You are actually 100% right. I'm probably just going to get more of the same batch, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Regardless, you can definitely expect an order from me soon for the alternative!

EricJS

You are actually 100% right. I'm probably just going to get more of the same batch, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Regardless, you can definitely expect an order from me soon for the alternative!

I've used both real & alternate Casein and they're both very elegant. But that's because Ed has never sold me one that was infested with termites. :biggrin:

mick

That's very curious. I've got a couple of casein blank tubed up and ready to turn. They came from Exotics. Since they have been cut in several places I should be able to see any bubbles or holes in the "end grains" I also wonder why no holes show on the surface. I'm not at all familiar with the process for making casein but I'm assuming being what it is that's made in sheets, cut up and turned round. If this is so why wouldn't holes shoe on the surface?

eliasbboy

That's very curious. I've got a couple of casein blank tubed up and ready to turn. They came from Exotics. Since they have been cut in several places I should be able to see any bubbles or holes in the "end grains" I also wonder why no holes show on the surface. I'm not at all familiar with the process for making casein but I'm assuming being what it is that's made in sheets, cut up and turned round. If this is so why wouldn't holes shoe on the surface?

I have a few holes in the ends where they were cut as well. CSUSA at first was going to send me replacements, but they emailed back and said the rest of their stock appeared to have air holes as well.

I'm getting a refund that I'll use to order the alternate.

I am completely pleased with their service tho. Every email and call was answered immediately.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

I have a few holes in the ends where they were cut as well. CSUSA at first was going to send me replacements, but they emailed back and said the rest of their stock appeared to have air holes as well.

I am completely pleased with their service tho. Every email and call was answered immediately.

You don't suppose THEY listened to ME, do you???

CSUSA IS top-notch, but they have no control over the manufacturer of the casein. Nor do we. I think they made a good decision.

eliasbboy

You don't suppose THEY listened to ME, do you???

CSUSA IS top-notch, but they have no control over the manufacturer of the casein. Nor do we. I think they made a good decision.

You definitely called it!

Parson

You can try to fill with CA. It works with some acrylics

I thought the same thing. Not so with casein.

It actually looks great with a CA finish on it for about a week. Then it starts turning dark and you can see all sorts of crud underneath it and every scratch you didn't take out of it before you coated it with CA.

I had to redo a customer pen after I coated the cap, made from casein, with CA glue. :(

Top Bottom