Cartridge pen Tarnishing???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I read a post on another forum about a person having problems with cartridge pens that were tarnishing even though they were powdercoated. Is this possible and what could cause this??? I thought powdercoating was to prevent this. I ask this because I am about to learn this procedure now that I have all the parts. I thought I would ask in case there is a step or trick I should learn to prevent this. I would like to keep the brass from tarnishing. Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I've never had a powdercoated brass cartridge tarnish. I buff them bright and shinny. Others use a tumbler with some kind of beads to do the cleaning and polishing. I also clean them just prior to applying the powder to remove fingerprints and oils.

Can't say what is happening with the powdercoated cartridge you mentioned in your post. Maybe it wasn't powdercoated.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
I read a post on another forum about a person having problems with cartridge pens that were tarnishing even though they were powdercoated. Is this possible and what could cause this??? I thought powdercoating was to prevent this. I ask this because I am about to learn this procedure now that I have all the parts. I thought I would ask in case there is a step or trick I should learn to prevent this. I would like to keep the brass from tarnishing. Thanks for the help.

bitshird

The brass does turn a bit darker when powder coating, but only because the 400 degree temperature is starting to oxidize the brass, ,

Last edited:

bhenr99

I had the problem with the cartridges. They looked to be powdercoated when I got them. They tarnished very quickly. Since then I ordered from another vendor and they look a lot better. Both the casing and bullet tarnished and pen was returned to me for replacement. How long should the powdercoat last?

Bob

its_virgil

It should last as long as the pen does. I powdercoated some brass and wasn't happy so I tried to remove the coating. I finally tossed them and started over. If the brass and copper bullet are not clean then some discoloring will occur. Getting the parts too close to the heating element will also discolor the coating. It has been said of powdercoating that the stuff is harder than woodpecker lips.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I had the problem with the cartridges. They looked to be powdercoated when I got them. They tarnished very quickly. Since then I ordered from another vendor and they look a lot better. Both the casing and bullet tarnished and pen was returned to me for replacement. How long should the powdercoat last?

Bob

jttheclockman

Don

You brought up the point about being too close to the heating elements. How close is too close??? is there something to look for to say it is done or is a trial thing??? At what temp and how long is normal??? I found a fairly large oven cheap and wanted this because I think I will have a problem getting things in and out of the oven with my two left hands or is it two right hands.

Sylvanite

You brought up the point about being too close to the heating elements. How close is too close??? is there something to look for to say it is done or is a trial thing??? At what temp and how long is normal???

I started out powder-coating with a toaster oven and had difficulties that I attributed to uneven temperature distribution. I was getting excessive discoloration of copper that was too close to the top heating element. After a while, I broke down and bought a real powder-coat oven and my results improved dramatically.

A full-size oven, especially if it is a convection oven (without too strong a fan) would probably do much better than a toaster-oven. One advantage of a better oven is a more accurate thermostat. Many are off by 50 degrees or more. You might want to get a good oven thermometer to determine how to set your thermostat.

There is no particular look to a powder-coated piece being "done". It is a time and temperature thing. The recipe varies with the powder, and the directions should come with it. I've settled on a clear powder that flows-out at 320-350 degrees in 5 minutes and cures at the same temperature for an additional 20 minutes. I am not sure, but I might get less discoloration of brass and copper with this powder than one that flows-out at 400 degrees.

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

I powdercoated some brass and wasn't happy so I tried to remove the coating. I finally tossed them and started over.
If you want to remove powder-paint from a coated object, soak it in acetone. A 10 minute soak will often soften the coating enough that you can rub or peel it off.

Regards,
Eric

P.S. That reminds me. If you are using CA glue on a powder-coated object, don't use accelerator. Many CA accelerators contain acetone. If any touches the powder-coat, it will discolor the finish.

Last edited:

its_virgil

I think Eric answered your question. I used a small toaster oven at first and it was really small. The heating elements were real close to the parts. Now I use an oven discarded from a home close to me that had a kitchen make over. I even salvaged the cabinet it was in and now I have an oven (in a cabinet) and large enough to do the trick. I have 220 volt elec in my shop so I just plug it in let it do the job. It works much better than the small toaster oven...and yes, a more accurate thermostat and timer.

After the powder melts(in about 5 minutes) I leave it in the oven for about 20 minutes longer. I use a clear powder similar to what Eric mentioned he uses. I don't remember the exact time and temp but Eric's time and temp sounds really close to what I do. I have the info written down with the powder coating stuff.

There are a couple of powdercoating tutorials in the library (I think)

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don

You brought up the point about being too close to the heating elements. How close is too close??? is there something to look for to say it is done or is a trial thing??? At what temp and how long is normal??? I found a fairly large oven cheap and wanted this because I think I will have a problem getting things in and out of the oven with my two left hands or is it two right hands.

jttheclockman

Thanks all you have been very helpful. I think I am going to try the oven I have and hopefully for the small things I want to do it will sufice.

Top Bottom