Carbon Fiber Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

No. Where did you get the CF blanks??? Chipping is an indication of a couple things. Your tools are too dull or the casting was too hard. My guess is your tools of choice. Acrylic will shatter like glass if you use tools such as roughing gouges. You need sharp tools.

JohnU

Like John said above and with all pr, if your too aggressive it can shatter and chip away very quickly, especially near the edges. Been there, done that many time. :(

mick

Like John said above and with all pr, if your too aggressive it can shatter and chip away very quickly, especially near the edges. Been there, done that many time. :(

When I first started turning I saw a DVD (I forget who it was) but they said when turning never cut toward an unsupported end. I've made that one of my hard and fast rules to turn by and the only time I've chipped out an end is when I've ignored my own rules.
As to the CF blanks, use the right tools. Being overly agressive will get you chips everytime. Use a round nosed scrapper or one of the carbide cutters offered by a couple of our members to bring the blank down to size then finish up with a sharp skew....it'll work wonders!

jttheclockman

What I like to do with all blanks and eliminates chipping on the ends is to work the ends down to close to bushing size on both ends before I start shaping the middle. Now this is all done after the blank is rounded. Tools and technique.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The woodchuck should work fine!! VERY light cuts, and start about a quarter inch in from the end, then go to the end. Repeat a million times until the end is rounded, then even if you get some "breakage", it will be unlikely to go too deep to redeem your blank.

REAL thin cuts that result in ribbons!!! Any tool CAN do it-some are more difficult than others.

beck3906

Practice the technique on some cheap inlace acrylic blanks. For me, they tend to shatter easily as you describe unless I pay close attention to my technique.

The move to your more expensive blanks.

Spats139

What rpm is better
2465 or 3950?

This has been asked before and the answers were all over the board; but that's because what works for one person may not be the best choice for another; and personally, I think it all comes down to what works for you. I've turned acrylic anywhere between 1200 and 3500, but I usually do it somewhere around 1500-1800. That range just seems to work well for me.

Like someone else mentioned, just keep putting blanks on your lathe and practice; turn at speeds that you haven't used before and see how they work for you; adjust your tool angle (within limits) and see if it makes a difference. Keep pluggin' away; but, if you feel like you're not having fun, then pause, take a breath, sharpen your tool, think positively, review the basics in your mind, and give it another go when you're ready.

workinforwood

I never have good luck on PR using either the Woodchuck or the Rotondo carbide tools. I think both tools are too aggressive for this material. A sharp gouge and a sharp skew will both focus the material removal to a smaller line on the blank. PR is touchy as it is more brittle than your average blank. Bottom line is the chipping is because of you, not a bad blank. You will get lots of different answers on how to turn PR.

RyanNJ

I never have good luck on PR using either the Woodchuck or the Rotondo carbide tools. I think both tools are too aggressive for this material. A sharp gouge and a sharp skew will both focus the material removal to a smaller line on the blank. PR is touchy as it is more brittle than your average blank. Bottom line is the chipping is because of you, not a bad blank. You will get lots of different answers on how to turn PR.
Thanks for the info Jeff

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Speed is the same answer as the tool.

"Whatever makes YOU comfortable". If you are "at ease", you will turn infinitely better than you will when worrying about failing.

This is also the reason to use inexpensive blanks for a while before graduating to the nicer ones.

Every time you get ribbons coming off the blank, look to see WHAT you are doing. We all tend to concentrate on what we do WRONG---instead try to emulate what you do RIGHT!! The more often you do that, the fewer blanks you will ruin and the more comfortable you become.

Success breeds success!!!

I have noticed on almost every Pr blank I have done with my carbide insert tool, that if you (me) are to aggressive you hit softer spots or something in the blank and the tool will grab and chomp into the blank, or maybe just a slight wrong angle of the cutter, usually where there is a drastic color change. Although I have the same thing happen turning brass.

CaptG

Ryan, I turn the cf blanks at about 3000 rpm and use the woodchuck. LIGHT cuts, if you get a bit aggressive, the carbide bit will bite and dig hard and fast into the pr. A replacement blank is on the way and I also sent a couple "reject" blanks that have small defects in them to practice with.

RyanNJ

Ryan, I turn the cf blanks at about 3000 rpm and use the woodchuck. LIGHT cuts, if you get a bit aggressive, the carbide bit will bite and dig hard and fast into the pr. A replacement blank is on the way and I also sent a couple "reject" blanks that have small defects in them to practice with.

Thanks again! i will be sure to speed the lathe up and go with as light of a cut as i can

1dweeb

Ryan, I just turned one of these that I got from exotics and if you take your time and make really light cuts you will end up with a great looking pen. Once I got mine down to size, it polished up fantastic! Good luck.

Top Bottom