Carbide Tool Length for Jet 1014 - What cutter shapes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FordTrax

I am thinking about making some carbide tools or depending on price buying some pre-made shafts with cutters and making my own handles for them. (If anyone knows of sources for pre-made shafts please PM me).

Before we go further I would like to be able to turn pens, bowls, ornaments and pendants/earrings on my forthcoming mini.

From researching these I see there are different lenghts of shafts available and I was wondering what lenght shaft projection I would want. I am suppose to be picking up a Jet 1014 this week and I would like to figure out the length of tools I want for it. So what length so you suggest for the shaft - Also what length should I make the handle for this size I was figuring around 13"s?

I assume I would use 3/8" shafts for my mini?

Finally, what cutter shapes will I need? Is there a different shape for bowls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

The cutters I have made the bars are 9" long.
depending on the cutters the bars are 3/8 which the diamond detailer and the 12mm round finisher are mounted on.

The 1/2" bar the 15 mm rougher inserts mount on I have 3 different inserts for them square, 100 mm(4"), 150mm (6") radius and the 16mm round finisher.

For the handles I think the is a personnel preference I like 10-12" handles.

You can buy mini tools but the normal size ones work fine on doing pens.

Last edited:

Charlie69

If I understand your questions correctly your thinking that for a small lathe you would use smaller tools. It doesn't matter what tools you use..big small medium...they will all work on the Jet mini.. Personal preference really. On my Jet mini I use tools ranging from 8" to 16".

Rockytime

These are my homemade tools. I did not plan their length, they were just arbitrary. After the first one I just sort of repeated it. These are 1/2" dia. I happen to have lots of it and I prefer round over square. Square is Ok for scraping but when trying to cut shear like square is not so good because when turning the cutter on it's axis the corner does not slide over the tool rest very well. JMHO. My Easy Woods are square and I seldom use them. Besides Capn' Eddie inserts are much cheaper and just as good. Just another humble opinion. :>)

Attachments

• 20151115_125248.jpg
    20151115_125248.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 143

FordTrax

These are my homemade tools. I did not plan their length, they were just arbitrary. After the first one I just sort of repeated it. These are 1/2" dia. I happen to have lots of it and I prefer round over square. Square is Ok for scraping but when trying to cut shear like square is not so good because when turning the cutter on it's axis the corner does not slide over the tool rest very well. JMHO. My Easy Woods are square and I seldom use them. Besides Capn' Eddie inserts are much cheaper and just as good. Just another humble opinion. :>)

Rocky,

Thanks for the picture with the tape beside them for scale they look as good as any ones you would buy in the store. What size lathe do you use these on BTW? Do you turn any bowls and if so do you use these or a specialty tool?

Where did you find the 3/8 or 1/2 in bar stock?

Thanks again, hopefully someone else will post their thoughts.

Rockytime

Rocky,

Thanks for the picture with the tape beside them for scale they look as good as any ones you would buy in the store. What size lathe do you use these on BTW? Do you turn any bowls and if so do you use these or a specialty tool?

Where did you find the 3/8 or 1/2 in bar stock?

Thanks again, hopefully someone else will post their thoughts.[/quote]

My lathe is just a small 10x16 midi lathe. I have not yet tried bowl turning, just pens, bottle stoppers and such. I have a large selection of steel having been a hobby machinist for lots of years. However, 3/8 and 1/2" steel is available at your local hardware and big box stores.

Top Bottom