CA gelling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I don't know if it's the temperatures being cooler but when I'm applying my CA finish it takes FOOOORRREVVER to dry or it won't ever get there and stays in a gel like form.

I apply 2 coats of thin then when I go to med. it never progesses after that. Has happened on wood and antler so I don't think it's the composition of the material. I do not have accelerator.. is that what I need? Thanks for the tips.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

How old is your CA? What is the Temp when you are applying CA.
Eagle use to use cigarette smoke as accelerator. So if you have someone around that smokes, see if blowing smoke on it get it to harden. If it does then you are going to need accelerator.

Rob73

I ran into this yesterday with 'med' ca. However, I think it's the temperature it was 38 degrees in my shop. Time to try and fix the torpedo heater.

ToddMR

Yeah, I have been keeping my glues in the house until I am ready for them. That and having my kerosene heater going in the garage helps too. All my glue ups for the most part are being done in the house at this point since temps have really fallen as of late. Also brought in my PR/Acrylic blanks as well.

fishlux

The CA will eventually cure even at low temps. But it does take a while. I've left some for two days before they firmed up. I often apply ca in the garage, and take the entire mandrel in the house to cure for a couple hours.

The CA is fairly new and has been kept in refrig. When I'm applying I apply from bottle that sits in shop so it is "room temperature" ( but the room is cold, haha). Thanks for all the input... off to find a way to heat it up enough to cure but keep it usable.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I have a heated shop but the CA still gets thick and sluggish in the winter. I've found a two pocket flannel shirt is the cure. I just keep the thin in one pocket and the medium in the other, body heat keeps it at a nearly perfect temperature. I use the aeroslo accelerator and can usually apply 2 thin coats, 3 medium, sand with 1500MM and the last two thin in less than 5 minutes if the CA is warm. If it's cold it will take at least three times as long. I don't recommend putting the bottles in your pants pockets cause if it pops open....well you better realllly like those pants.
WB

Drstrangefart

Get a space heater set up by the lathe and use accellerator. Just let the medium sit for maybe 2 or 3 minutes and hit it for maybe 1/2 second with the accellerator. It SHOULD work. It's how I do it in my not quite finished basement and it's been very effective. I keep all my CA at room temp in the basement by the lathe.

robutacion

I certainly don't have those low temperatures problems but, is noticeable enough with the average temps we have here in this part of Australia. Temps in Winter vary from -4 to 30 C and in Summer from 15 to 48 C, I can certainly notice the reaction of the CA in these different conditions.

I normally use medium CA all around, but in winter I use a little more thin CA than in any other time of the year. I use accelerator at all times, unless is very hot temps in the shed (like now...!:mad:), in winter I find that using thin CA, its dries quicker with the help of the accelerator, I may need more coats tough, which is obvious...!

I also use often, my heat-gun to get things drying faster, a hair-dryer can do it too, making sure (particularly with the heat-gun) you don't put it too close to the blank. I test regularly the right temperature by putting my hand in front of the blank and keep the heat-gun at about 2' from it. This distance varies depending of the outside(room) temperature, you know that you got it right when you can keep your hand near the blank and be very bearable. I also like to move the heat-gun in a left to right in slow motion, voiding overheating in one spot only...!

I have not found any problems by using regularly accelerator, nor I have had any problems in using the heat-gun to accelerated the CA drying time, HOWEVER, doing this in a well ventilated place is a must, fumes from the accelerator and CA are flammable and volatile, as is the risk of setting the CA on fire if too much heat is applied. Remember, either heat-guns or hair dryers work on the principal of open flame from the heating "elements" so, think it through and make sure you have the right conditions/environment to use this drying method...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom