Bullet Pens - Cartridge/Bullet Sizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichB

Thanks John. I have been making a few and this is very helpfull. I am not a hunter so I didn't know just how much bullet should show. Thanks again. RichB

Sylvanite

That website is a good starting point. It gives maximum COAL (Cartridge OverAll Length), though. The actual desired COAL varies with the caliber, bullet weight, profile, and composition. If you really get into handloading, you can even tailor the length to a specific firearm.

I prefer to make cartridge pens that meet SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammuninition Manufacturers' Institute) specs. That is, if you took the cartridge off the pen, it would actually chamber in a matching caliber gun. I even take into account the amount I remove from the tip of the bullet when drilling.

Regards,
Eric

juteck

That website is a good starting point. It gives maximum COAL (Cartridge OverAll Length), though. The actual desired COAL varies with the caliber, bullet weight, profile, and composition. If you really get into handloading, you can even tailor the length to a specific firearm.

I prefer to make cartridge pens that meet SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammuninition Manufacturers' Institute) specs. That is, if you took the cartridge off the pen, it would actually chamber in a matching caliber gun. I even take into account the amount I remove from the tip of the bullet when drilling.

Regards,
Eric

Even better --- thanks for this info.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm

Top Bottom