Buffalo Horn Pen is Splitting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Flush1974

Ok so I bought some of the Buffalo horn round blanks from PSI to make a Father's Day pen for my Pop. I put it on a PSI Over Under Shotgun Pen, and used it for the shell end. It looked great, so I took it in to work and had some light laser etching of some pheasants and his name put on it. So its sitting here waiting for my dad to show up and the ##$% Buffalo portion is splitting:at-wits-end:. I only finished it 4 days ago. Now what do I do? I don't think I can take the cap apart because of the plastic parts inside the tube.

Questions:

Did I screw something up?

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Is it just a scrap pen now?

How do I get it apart?

Is there something wrong with Buffalo horn blanks?

What should I use in it's place if I fix it or start a new Over Under Pen?

Before
image1_zps64f8a5cf.jpeg

image_zpsf96af33a.jpeg

image2_zps8dd83560.jpeg

Three days later:

image_zps0666c792.jpeg

image1_zps08885edd.jpeg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Ok so I bought some of the Buffalo horn round blanks from PSI to make a Father's Day pen for my Pop. I put it on a PSI Over Under Shotgun Pen, and used it for the shell end. It looked great, so I took it in to work and has some light laser etching of some pheasants and his name put on it. So its sitting here waiting for my dad to show up and the ##$% Buffalo portion is splitting:at-wits-end:. I only finished it 4 days ago. Now what do I do? I don't think I can take the cap apart because of the plastic parts inside the tube.

Questions:

How do I get it apart?

Any pics possible...???

Cheers
George

PS: Please dismiss my post, I didn't see any pics until after I posted, sorry...!

Last edited:

its_virgil

That is what buffalo horn does...it cracks. You're the second one to post about buffalo horn cracking in the last week or so. And, searching the forum for buffalo horn would probably turn up several mored threads about cracking buffalo horn.

I am so sorry you spent so much time and put so much effort into such a thoughtful gift for your Dad only to have the horn crack. I know you were disappointed.

You might be able to fill the crack with horn dust or crushed stone then drizzle thin CA over it. But more sanding would probably do harm to the laser work. It is possible that the heat from engraving may have contributed to the cracking. I am not one who thinks so but several do and will probably offer that as the cause. Antler may have been a better choice in material. I have not made an over/under so I can't offer any disassembly hints. I would think one of the camo blanks might work well with that kit. I wish you well and again, sorry for your disappointments with this pen. We have all has similar situations.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenMan1

Sorry that your project went South. As an afterthought, horn of ANY kind or snakewood projects would never get near a laser in my shop. They are both TOO apt to split, crack or chip without agitation. Adding the heat from laser etching is just tempting fate too much.

Respectfully submitted.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have made many buffalo horn pens. Never lasered any.

MOST cracked!!

Some were ok for months, THEN cracked.

We live and learn. I'll bet your dad will treasure the pen even with a crack!! This is one time that the "thought" was action and will likely be all that matters to dad!!!

Take a bow, you are a GOOD son!!!

Ed

Flush1974

Thanks Guys,

I figured being that it was stabilized that it would be fine. I didn't even finish it with CA. I just wet sanded then polished. So now I'm betting that the whole thing is going to start splitting all over.

The good news is I got some pictures before it started to fall apart. I'm going to call PSI tomorrow and see if they have some suggestions for taking it apart. I just have to find a black acrylic blank locally, cut, turn, and then get it back in to work so my guy can laser it again before Friday.

Thanks for the help, learn something new with every pen I turn. I just hope now I can get it apart without trashing the kit. I would hate to lose the whole thing.

bruce119

Here's another thought for materials that are prone to cracking and I think it's also good practice.

When you drilled the hole for the tube how tight is it. I give the blank room to move and would use a glue such as gorilla glue, something that will be a little flexible. Things expand and shrink when exposed to heat and cold. Something to think about...that brings us to the next thought...heat do everything you can to avoid heat starting when you drill your blank (this probably the most important overlooked process) drill SLOW a little at a time.

Remember heat is the enemy....

As far as a fix goes...well ????

It still looks great

edstreet

Questions:

Without being to hard and harsh the truth here is yes. However we all screw up and what makes someone good skill wise is making mistakes and learning from them.

Yes possibly. you can disassemble it, remove that coating (see below) and redo it. Not sure you will want to (see below)

I would if it was mine. From reading above the laser cut is likely going to be a major headache over time.

How do I get it apart?

rods and mallets my friend, rods and mallets.

No. The problem is in knowing how to read buffalo horn.

If you do pull it apart you can remove any/all coating on the outside of it, i.e. no CA finish, PERIOD. You can use the black CA or other materials to fill in the cracked area or even cut that section out and put something else in it's place.

---

Ok lets get down to the nuts and bolts of buffalo horn. I have been looking on IAP for the past week on buffalo horn and the number of things that I have read is just appalling.

First Buffalo horn is not really horn like most think, it's not really antler nor is it ivory, it is not wood, bone, antler, PR resin or any of the other materials that we work with. It is closer to compressed HAIR than anything else. Think of it as a callous on your foot and you have horn. Now think of this same callous around your sinus cavities that move with the pressure in the sinus and the ambient air, this is what horn is and this is where many go wrong in using it.

There are also may type of 'horn' as well. 'horn' in the classic sense, what most people thing anyways, is like fingernails. This may be truth with some horn but not all.

This is listed as 'horn'
IMG_0142.JPG

This is also listed as 'horn'
487287_4527319342951_270740473_n.jpg

As you can see, not all 'horn' is equal. Nor should it be worked the same.

If you ever look at the knife community you will see buffalo horn in use commonly and not much problem with it. Ask yourself why is that. The answer lies in the thickness and the coating that is used. Pen turners love to put CA on everything, buffalo horn does not need CA. Also the knife community is more apt to use flexible epoxy where the pen community uses, well, CA which is not flexible.

Horn, ivory and other similar materials does move over time. Using an outer coating, like a CA finish, will hinder this movement and thus creating *MORE* stress points, when one point gives it goes CRACK. Some has been quite accurate with soaking, yes this increases the size due to retention and flexible glue bonding will allow it to move more. Same holds true for over sizing the drill hole.

Some heat is good for horn, to much heat is bad bad and bad. i.e. sanding the base before adding epoxy to a knife is good, that is your foundation and the rest of the material can move some over time. Dare I mention horn pyrography? No I think best steer clear of that one for now.

Moving from one climate to another will warp materials like ivory, horn and others. Humidity and all that other junk causes this.

Thickness of the horn on the tube makes a HUGE difference as well. Thin will be more apt to crack than thick. So, if you put horn on some pen that uses a very thick blank it will likely crack less than say a slimline.

Stabilizing? Ha yea right. It is impossible to really stabilize this stuff. Many attempt and the reasons is the density will not allow resins, or even dye for that matter, to penetrate the material. Dont get caught up in the sales and marketing gimmicks, horn is dense and it is a barrier that is designed to de facto block things. Work *WITH* the horn, not against the horn.

The other area I wanted to cover is changes in structure. You have 3 basic types, solid horn, honey horn and silver horn. Basic is the deep blackish brown color, honey is well honey color and silver has silver streaks like grey hair. When you have changes from normal to honey or normal to silver you have a weak area in the horn that runs along the grain line. Think of it as a hard spot and what I said about movement.

This is honey horn.
IMG_7827.JPG

Here you can see the big crack above and below the honey streak, this section has also somewhat warped over time as well. Again thickness and allowing it to move is the key here.

This is some silver streaked buffalo horn that I used on a knife.
IMG_9953.JPG

This is before I finished the pins and sanded it up good.

This is how it ended up.
IMG_0041.JPG

Note the difference in pattern and how the silver streak area was coming to a close in the final image. More sanding it would get smaller. Reading the material is very crucial here.

This one is a baby spoon that I did in streaked buffalo horn. I also used a fiber spacer material.
IMG_8442.JPG

and final.
IMG_0768.JPG

Also note the streak changes and you can see the grain flow direction.

Here is a buffalo horn spacer I cut for a san-mai santoku
IMG_5518.JPG

This is the spacer and you can very clearly see the grain direction flow and the polish starting to take shape. There are several scratches and chips to still work out at this point but it is very clear the grain has a curved flow
IMG_5324.JPG

Some sage advice I was given at the start was do not fear the buffalo. Instead KNOW the buffalo and you will do well. Remember, it is not wood nor is it PR resin. It *DOES* have an attitude all it's own and when you learn to control it and work with/around it the better off you will be.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom