brass and/or Aluminum sheets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

If one was to look for small sheets of Brass and/or Aluminum to use for segmenting where would you all suggest?

I know about using an aluminum can but we don't drink soda here and I refuse to drink Guinness out of a can.

Also for those that have worked with it what thickness would your recommend? I tried some aircraft aluminum and it was too think. I am going to see if we have any thinner. I believe it was a different type of aluminum then what was suggested.

Thanks

Edited to add copper as an option too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonF

How about aluminum flashing that is used on roofs? I thought about it several weeks ago, but haven't looked into it.

Edit: I looked at Lowes website and see they have 10 foot X 10 inch rolls of aluminum for $5.95. Also 4X4X8 pieces of step flashing for 38 cents each. Even have some copper and galvanized rolls, but they are bigger rolls and $32+. What a great reason to visit the hardware store :D!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Heck, I drink a TON of coke (Although I've cut back since they discontinued C2)...I can cut up and send you a bunch of pop cans if you want...

And as for the guinness, I've been wanting to make a mini keggerator for a while now! Time to dig around online, I guess! :)

rherrell

I work in a sheet metal shop and use aluminum daily. .040, .050 and .063. 6061 alloy which is pretty hard and most likely too thick, but let me know.
I think the flashing at Lowe's is .040 so that and pop cans are probably your best bet.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I can only get mm here and use .3 and .5 mm most of the time.

As a note - I drill my holes BEFORE segmenting and it does present a problem. I haven't tried segmenting and then drilling as I am scared that it will cause the glued segments to break apart. I don't think this would be too much of a problem with soda can thickness aluminum but brass is harder.

in drilling a hole for segmenting, I place a sheet on a piece of plywood and overlay a sheet on top of that. Both pieces of ply are about one inch larger on each side. I screw these together, then drill holes and cut circles out with HD shears. I have to flatten it after cutting it out but it works fine.

Please post a note here on how you do yours. Every tip is helpful.

great12b4ever

One source for the brass is at Grainger's suppy. You can buy "shim stock" in various thicknesses. Right now I have .002, .003, .004, and .005 thicknesses. these are about 6" wide and maybe 5-6 feet in length. Be sure to thouroughly clean the oil off the surfaces of the brass before gluing tho.

IPD_Mrs

Rob,
Thanks for the info on Grainger. That thickness will be great obtaining the the right thickness in a kerf. I forget about Grainger as that darn catalog is about 5" too thick. Makes a great door stop on a windy day!:D

Mike

airrat

This might be a place to look.

http://www.speedymetals.com/

Posted by JasonF in another thread.

If you go to the gold tabs at top and go to sheet/plate there are some there. Wow copper is expensive.

Out of the 3 types of aluminum they carry what type is recommended?

Chasper

Try a trophy shop, or better yet find a supplier to the trophy makers. The little brass and aluminum plates that they use for names work if you get the thinnest available. We buy these little name plates from a source in Taiwan, but there are domestic suppliers of engraving stock that should have lots of choices. I haven't looked yet, but I'm pretty sure the same suppliers would be a good source for pick guard like materials; lots of trophy name plates are on plastic.

Thumbs

I bought brass kickplates/guards (whatever) for doors at Lowes. All the brass you need and useful for dressing up handmade tools if too thick for your pens...

wood-of-1kind

Lots of "shim" stock, brass and other materials that cab be ordered from McMaster-Carr. Their inventory levels are incredible albeit their pricing is NOT cheap.

-Peter-:)

jhs494

No, not that I am aware of. I have ordered for personal things at home and used a credit card. They have an outlet in Ohio, along with other states, so for me I can have my stuff the next day. I just went to there website and I don't see any mention of a minimum order.
I will say that from work I once called back around ten minutes after I had placed an order and I was told that the orders are processed within 5 minutes of calling. Luckily I was adding to the order, but that is quick.

Top Bottom