Brand new and overwhelmed - Page 4 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Until you get dust collection sorted out you can use a "wet" sanding technique. Soak down your sandpaper and wood surface with food grade mineral oil when sanding. This totally eliminates any airborne dust resulting from sanding.

Carl Jacobson (Woodturner) on YouTube has a description of this process. He mixes his mineral oil with some kind of polishing wax.

Note: once you wet sand a piece of wood it will forever be soaked with oil. Any gluing operations will need to happen before wet sanding. Also, you will be limited on what sorts of finish you can use over oil soaked wood. If you are not trying to achieve a high gloss finish, mineral oil alone can be enough of a finish on a well sanded piece of wood.
BocoteMark is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #32 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I am also new here. So new in fact I get my lathe next week LOL.I know a gentleman on another forum that turns pens and he sent me here. That was a good thing for sure. I'm trying to do my "due diligence" and learn as much as I can. I have some experience with a metal lathe and because I carve I know some about sharpening. You fine folks have answered a lot of question and just reading this thread helped a lot. For the original poster also a thank you and good luck.
Kragax is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #33 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I haven't been turning for very long either, but I can relate to everything you said. Here's what I did. As far as sharpening tools, I took them to my local Woodcraft store and they would sharpen them for $4/tool. I asked to be shown how and discovered that it was relatively easy with a inexpensive grinder. Maybe not "exactly" how WC did it, but it did the job. After I was able to sell a few of my pens, I used that money to get an Easy Wood Tool with a carbide tip. I learned that with a diamond hone & lapping fluid, the bits can be sharpened instead of buying new. That took care of one of my issues.

As far as pen making, I purchased a pen mandrel. As people bought pens, I'd pick up another one and so on (I think I own 4 of them now). Much of this is a learning process and it can be overwhelming.

I generally ask myself - what is giving me the most frustration, or what tool (or thing) could I use the most right now to make the process easier. Not always does it have to be expensive or even a run to the store. Maybe it's a jig, a tool holder or something else. Even experienced turners are always looking for more stuff for their shops.

Hopefully this helps!

-Michael
jewellmd is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #34 (permalink)

Photos: 14

This is the BEST forum on the internet. I have belonged to many, and I have never seen such generous souls as are here. They will go out of their way to help us newbies over and over again and give constructive criticism in a way that we do not feel like idiots.

I have to say, the BEST tool I have bought lately is the pen press. I used my drill press, clamps, etc and had mostly success with those. I was going to build my own press, but I got a present of cash and decided to break down and buy one. I did not realize how much easier assembly would be with the press.

Just my 2 cents worth. As a newbie, I need every advantage I can get. :)

Thanks!

Mitch
wyone is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads