Brand new and overwhelmed - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

You might want to call the Woodcraft in Canton, MI, and ask about AAW - they would likely have info on something close to you.

I also found this chapter in Ann Arbor: http://aaw.site-ym.com/members/?id=23094551

Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 01-09-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Bill in Buena Park is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks, Bill!
sabriel7 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 2

One of the best investments is membership in your local AAW Chapter.
There's one in Ann Arbor AAW Chapter -- Huron Valley Woodturners who meet on the 3rd Sunday of each month. Here's an email contact from AAW
nacl734@hotmail.com

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.......

President Pikes Peak Woodturners - AAW Chapter
Mr Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry q View Post
You would do yourself a huge favor and save many hours of frustration by finding someone in your area to help you with your new hobby. I self taught for over a year and grew so frustrated I almost quit. Luckily I found a turning club and as they say the rest is history.
Ditto this. Join a club. Take a course. Learn safe habits and proper working techniques from experienced people.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-10-2015, 12:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default Hang in there

I was a carpenter and cabinet maker all my life. I've built roll-top desks, and grandfather clocks, and everything in between. So when I was forced to retire, I thought pen-making would be a great way to solve my addiction to sawdust. It can be the most humbling of endeavors. And expensive! Don't be afraid to shop Harbor Freight for cheap tools, like a small drill press or belt sander. They've come a long way on their quality. And check out all the videos on YouTube. I learned a lot there. And especially read these forums. There is a world of knowledge here gleaned from mistakes you won't have to make. The main thing is to have fun. If you're not having fun after 40-50 pens, sell the damn lathe!!!
timsickels is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabriel7 View Post

This brings me to another question about alignment. The mandrel I received simply does not align with the tailstock no matter how I adjust the tailstock. It's not off by much, but it is clearly rubbing against the dead center and just from the two pens I've turned there is already a groove in the dead center. Am I doing something wrong here or is this typical?

Sorry for all the questions. I just really want to get going, but don't know the best/most efficient way to make that happen. Thanks in advance for all of your help. --lindsay
This sounds lije you are using a dead center in your tailstock. If so, that is why you are getting a groove. You need a live center for the tail stock so that it spins with the mandrel but holds it in place.

Good luck.
darrin1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 14

I am thinking.. maybe take a picture of how you have the mandrel and centers set up and the experts in here can help you figure out if there is anything wrong. This is am AMAZING resource and the people in here are SO helpful!

Thanks!

Mitch
wyone is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

When you started your education, nearly the first thing you learned was to read. Just because you're a little older doesn't mean anything has changed.

See the BLUE blocks at the top of the Home page. The one in the middle is the Library and just like all other libraries it contains tons of information. And read the operating instructions for your lathe and all other pieces of machinery, maybe twice or three times. It can't hurt!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin1200 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabriel7 View Post

This brings me to another question about alignment. The mandrel I received simply does not align with the tailstock no matter how I adjust the tailstock. It's not off by much, but it is clearly rubbing against the dead center and just from the two pens I've turned there is already a groove in the dead center. Am I doing something wrong here or is this typical?

Sorry for all the questions. I just really want to get going, but don't know the best/most efficient way to make that happen. Thanks in advance for all of your help. --lindsay
This sounds lije you are using a dead center in your tailstock. If so, that is why you are getting a groove. You need a live center for the tail stock so that it spins with the mandrel but holds it in place.

Good luck.
Yeah, I actually misspoke. I am in fact using a live center, but still the mandrel was not aligning. Another poster suggested that I loosen the bolts on the headstock and try to manually adjust it so the mandrel would fit directly with the tailstock live center. I'm happy to report that it worked and I now have a fairly well-aligned lathe!
sabriel7 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I spent the first few weeks with my lathe turning random pieces of scrap wood that I had so I could learn and get used to the tools. It was a cheap way to play with my new toy without spending a bunch more money.

rip down a 2x4 or pickup the 3/4" - 1 1/2" square pieces from home depot/lowes for a couple bucks.
mike4066 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads