Book

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If you could recommend one pen turning book that is a must have what would it be?

I am looking for something that offers a lot of different ideas and good info.

Thanks
Jesse

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drGeek

I've gotten the most info from this website, just reading the forum posts and reading the library archives and tutorials. IAP has information which is much more in depth than most books, though I liked Barry Gross' book on penturning.

Yeah buddy

dr,

I totally agree with you. This website is what got me interested in turning and every time I login to the website I learn something new. The forums and the library are the best thing that has happened for the pen turning world. Thank you to all who have contributed to the site just does not do justice. Almost everything that I have made so far is because of this site.

I am coming up on my 1 year pen turning anniversary and it is all because of the great people on this site. I remember just stumbling across the site one day while I was at work read and read bought me a lathe and some tools and got after it.

Thanks to all for the great info and look forward to many more years of turning because of this great community.

Jesse

ctubbs

There are several good books on the market, but as Jesse just said, I have found much more reliable info on this site than the shelf of books sitting by my side now. The people with the expertise are on here, most show up every day. I'll not go into trying to name any of them because I know I would leave out some of the best. Read the post here and in the forums of intrest to you, check out the library index at the top right of the home page and if the info needed is not found there, then post your question. You will receive many excellent answers.

I just fell onto this site a few months back and have learned more about, not just pen turning, but turning in general than I did in the previous two years with books and personal mistakes. You will find many vendors offering some of the best material anywhere here also. Just my $0.02.
Charles

aggromere

don't know about the rest, but when I first started I bought a copy of Barry Gross's book. Something like Pen Turning or Basic Pen Turning. It was very helpful to me when I got started. It was before I found the IAP.

jfoh

All the above answers are good, but wrong. The best book for a new pen turner is a CHECKBOOK. The bigger the better. :)

thetalbott4

+1 on Marlas suggestion of "Turning Pens and Pencils" as a good starting point, but to go beyond the basics this site is the best. IMHO

bensoelberg

I've never bought a book that would allow me to ask questions of the author and receive an answer within a few hours. This site does that. Thanks to all of you who have answered my questions!

AKPenTurner

I'd have to say the best book is Barry Gross's "The Penturners Workbook". It is loaded with beginning to advanced pens and techniques. I enjoy just looking through it for fun...
I also agree that this site is the best place to go for continuous new ideas and great info.

sbwertz

I'd have to say the best book is Barry Gross's "The Penturners Workbook". It is loaded with beginning to advanced pens and techniques. I enjoy just looking through it for fun...
I also agree that this site is the best place to go for continuous new ideas and great info.

I also started with Penturner's Workbook. It is well illustrated and well written. It is available on Amazon for $10. It is worth the price for the photos.

But I've learned more here than from any book.

Top Bottom