Blank Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPD_Mrs

OK not saying this has happened, just that you might never know when and if it will happen.[:I]

You cut your blanks for a Jr Gent and get all set to drill, get everything all centered and drill your blanks. Once done everything looks great and centered, then you realize that you drilled the blanks backwards. 10.5mm for the cap and 12.5mm for the body. Now you got these great blanks but they are drilled wrong. Is there anything you can do with them? [:I][:I][:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If it's a fountain pen, make a short version. Cut the long blank to size for the cap. Finish and assemble as usual, but know that you will either need a short converter (contact me offline if interested) or use it for cartridges only. If it's a roller ball, you will need an oops band.

bobskio2003

The other thing you could do is add a contrasting piece (with possibly a veneer piece for extra emphasis) to the cap and then make that you bottom and cut your bottom to cap length. Bob I.

Rifleman1776

Or just cuss under your breath and toss them onto the disaster pile at the end of your workbench. Someday you might find a use for one. Start over. But do factor in the loss with your pricing forumula.

Rmartin

I think you just discovered why the first segmented pen was made. Add highlight bands, cut at an angle and add contrasting material in the middle. The possibilities are endless. The trick is to make it look like it was meant to be.

Rmartin

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />\\ But do factor in the loss with your pricing forumula.

Frank,only you can come up with this little jem. Make your customer pay for your 'screwup'[?][:I]. I couldn't do this.

-Peter-[:)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />\\ But do factor in the loss with your pricing forumula.

Frank,only you can come up with this little jem. Make your customer pay for your 'screwup'[?][:I]. I couldn't do this.

-Peter-[:)]

Peter, every business has a trash can. Losses and waste are part of the equation. Don't do it and you will go broke in short order. I appreciate the compliment but I didn't invent the concept of profit, that's been around for millenia.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking
<br />OK not saying this has happened, just that you might never know when and if it will happen.[:I]

You cut your blanks for a Jr Gent and get all set to drill, get everything all centered and drill your blanks. Once done everything looks great and centered, then you realize that you drilled the blanks backwards. 10.5mm for the cap and 12.5mm for the body. Now you got these great blanks but they are drilled wrong. Is there anything you can do with them? [:I][:I][:I]

<b>Not a problem</b>, I have <s>done this myself</s> heard of others doing this and know what they did!

So you have the short barrel with a small hole and the long barrel with a large hole right?

Take the short barrel and re-drill it with the proper larger drill bit. You now have two upper barrels. Glue in two large brass tubes and trim up the blanks.

Now take two more blanks, size and drill BOTH of them for lower barrels.

You now have two matching pen kits with nothing thrown in the trash! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom