Blank Drilling Speed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chigdon

I was wondering how fast everyone has their drill press set for to drill out their blanks. Craft Supplies instructions recommends 2000 to 3000 but I typically drill much slower (around 650). Is there a good reason to drill that fast?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by chigdon
<br />I was wondering how fast everyone has their drill press set for to drill out their blanks. Craft Supplies instructions recommends 2000 to 3000 but I typically drill much slower (around 650). Is there a good reason to drill that fast?
With a sharp bit the less time exposed to friction means you get less heat.
Also you get to start turning faster[:D]
I have found there also needs to be a balance of the need to clean out the debris which causes fewer "blow outs" at the end for the blank.
I don't use a back up on the bottom of my blanks and don't experience "blow outs"
I drill at about 1500 rpm's but I also have a Drill Dr. and use it frequesntly.
Even HF bits can drill a beautiful hole quickly when sharp.
No need to waste money on suppliers over priced <b>Specialty </b>bits.[^]

Scottydont

A agree with Eagle 100%. For me sharp bits, 1500 RPM, clean flutes and moderate feed rate. Most guys with dull bits would be smoking at 2000RPM.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Rule #1 - If it works, keep doing it.
Rule #2 - If you want to try something, try it.
Corollary #1 to rule #2 - If #2 doesn't work, go back to rule #1.
[8D]

its_virgil

The cheaper model sharpens bits up to 1/2" and to sharpen larger bits, up to 3/4", a second chuck must be purchased. At least one of the models, the more expensive ones, comes with both chucks and allows split point sharpening. I gave my first model to an uncle and purchased the most expensive one (on a closeout) and really like the split point sharpening. Bits drill cleaner, more precise, easier, and the bit tends not to follow grain and wander as much.

FYI: Sears in my home townhas the Drill Docs on clearance and plus the larger chucks, and the sharpening wheels.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by chigdon
<br />A question about the Drill Doctor -- does it sharpen any size bit? Since we all use some pretty obscure size bits for what we do.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
There are several models of Drill Doctor. The low end will handle any size bit up to 1/2". The Pro-series will handle up to 3/4". I've sharpened metric, SAE and letter bits without a problem.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I started with the low end model($80.00 at Lowes)
One of the down sides was the unit had to be sent to the factory on only that model to replace the wheel.
The good side was they have an upgrade program.
They will take an old unit in trade for an upgrade and will give a very generous credit towards teh purchase of a new one.
I have been touting the benifits of the Drill Dr. for 3 years on different forums.
I am not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer who wants his moneys worth and good service.
Drill Dr. stands behind their product and I have no problems reccomending it.
Don't believe me, Even Paul Harvey was a spokesman for them and he is pretty much an upstanding guy.

its_virgil

Personally, I think Paul Harvey would be a spokesman for any company with enough money to buy his endorsement. But...the Drill Doctor is the best tool I've ever purchased and I'll never be without one...especially as much drilling as we penturners do.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />
Don't believe me, Even Paul Harvey was a spokesman for them ...

rtparso

Well once again I agree with Eagel . Sharp bit meen a lot. On the speed issue feed rate + speed is the factor. If you have a sharp bit the speed is less improtant. I also lub the flutes on my bit if I am going to dirill something that has trouble clearing the chips.

Woodnknots

For tight grain, expensive woods, like snakewood, pink ivory, african blackwood, etc.. go with the slowest speed on the press, and feed slow, cleaning the flutes often. With some woods, you even need to take a break halfway through to prevent stress cracking from the heat. I find I don't like to risk a fast drill speed with something I can't afford to ruin. Anything else, and I agree with the rest, sharp bit, and do what works. I've found for me, that drilling around 350 rpm works very well, I've not had a blowout in a LONG time... Except that time I tried to drill a small blank with a LARGE hole... I was off center...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Personally, I think Paul Harvey would be a spokesman for any company with enough money to buy his endorsement. But...the Drill Doctor is the best tool I've ever purchased and I'll never be without one...especially as much drilling as we penturners do.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />

I realize Paul Harvey probably was paid, but he doesn't endorse Junk.
Rush Limbaugh also used to be a spokesman for Drill Dr., But I think enough of the product that I didn't want to turn off the liberals from purchasing one.[:D]

Fangar

1350 for me. Slower for me especially on the acrylics has a tendancy to split out with my technique. Small cuts and withrawls. I also use a small shop vac to clear as I drill. It also helps to keep the shop dust down.

Fangar

its_virgil

I think you just did(discourage the liberals)...just knowing that Rush thought it was good has prompted many liberals to get rid of their Drill docs....I sent your rush post to some leberal penturners I know....I'm off to some garage sales[:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don

do a good
<br />
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Personally, I think Paul Harvey would be a spokesman for any company with enough money to buy his endorsement. But...the Drill Doctor is the best tool I've ever purchased and I'll never be without one...especially as much drilling as we penturners do.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />

I realize Paul Harvey probably was paid, but he doesn't endorse Junk.
Rush Limbaugh also used to be a spokesman for Drill Dr., But I think enough of the product that I didn't want to turn off the liberals from purchasing one.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom