black wooden pen for a customer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

One of my customers is requesting a black wooden pen.

I know absolutely nothing about wood, so any recommendations about wood and stain would be great. I'll be making it with inserts and finishing off with a CA finish - black acrylic for the inserts.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Ordered some from woodcraft along with a couple black acrylics. A bit pricey for the plastic, but the wood was cheap enough. 5 pieces for $14.

nava1uni

You can also use any wood that is light in color and dye it with Indian ink or black shoe polish and then seal it with sanding sealer or CA. I do it all the time and it looks great. Don is right that Blackwood is easier to work with then Ebony.

watch_art

DANG! I wish I had waited a couple days before ordering, now... oh well.
I'll do the India ink thing, too, later on. That's a great idea.

bubbamorse

Ebony if you decide to use it has to be drilled very slowly so as not to get the wood hot. Drill a little, let it cool, drill a little, let it cool. African blackwood is probably a better choice.

Ebony is persnickety! I turned one pen in it and have sense given up on the wood...it's oily and burns easily (IMHO).

Twissy

+1 on the Irish bog oak.
Personally I don't like a CA finish on black wood. I think the grain gets lost, and it almost looks like black acrylic. IMO a wax finish looks and feels more natural.
Regards
John

Richard Earl

While ebony is hard to work, when you can finish it without it cracking it is amazing, particularly in a Rhodium pen. But you can turn several pens before you get one without cracks. Sand SLOWLY, don't let it build up any heat. Here are a couple of ebony pens I did quite a while back.

And another possibility is spalted buckeye burl. It can be hard to find and expensive even if you find it. However, it can be black with accents that make it quite beautiful. It is a wood I use very often on my high end pens.

Attachments

• Ebony Pens web.jpg
    Ebony Pens web.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom