A big fat one...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkc

That's the description I got for a pen someone wants made. So, what kit suggestions do you have?

I'm guessing 'Cigar'. But I don't know diddly about the kits. And what would you charge for an osage orange cigar pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickTaylor

Cigar if you want a ballpoint twist. Otherwise, a gentlemen's or similar fat screw-top fountain or roller.

I'm too new to have good experience with pricing, but others have said take your cost for components and multiply by 3 (e.g. $12 rhodium cigar kit + $3 fancy blank x3 = $45-$50 pen.)

gerryr

Well, Rudy and I are each half right.[:D] The upper tube on the Havana is larger than on the El Grande, but the lower tube on the EL Grande is large than on the Havana.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The El Grande is very light for its size, I have never held a Havana.

Some people SAY big and MEAN heavy.

As in "She's a BIG girl" at 250 pounds!!![:0][:0][:0][:0][}:)][}:)][}:)]

bkc

Thank you so much for the suggestions :) I sent him pictures of the cigar and the havana. I'm waiting to see if them are the type he wanted.

GaryMGg

A little late but I presented someone with an Amboyna burl Jr. Statesman.
He asked if it was a billy club.
Also, some full size kits turned preggers instead of B2B are gonna look like a big fat one. [:D]
And, I don't mean for that to be taken in a bad way -- some pens look good that way.

Gary

bkc

Okay, now to find out if it's possible with a Havana to do what he wants....

He wants me to try leaving as much wood on as possible so he can add some hand carving work on the pen. My question is, how much 'extra' can be left where it will all fit together still? I'll need to go with the twist one. I couldn't tell if the roller ball was also a twist or is that a capped pen? Sorry for so many questions. Never fails I run into someone wanting what might be beyond what I can do [B)]

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
bkc

I have not completed a "carved" pen yet, but have a few drawings, and experience with pen turning, and carving.

Here is what I "suggest" and you can maybe get some ideas from these:

1. In the Sylus pen magazine there are pictures of pens that have been turned to the dimensions of the bushings RIGHT AT THE POINT WHERE WOOD MEETS THE PEN KIT, and then slope out to a design that is fairly substantial, one of the barley or rope twist pens with deep flutes comes to mind. The flutes taper out at the ends to keep a nice "flow" into the bushing dimensions.

2. Also there are some that are turned like above, but about 1/2 inch from the point where wood meets kit, a very large "step up" in dimension occurs to allow more "meat" to be on the brass tube in the middle of the body or top. I consider this a carving field in order to do the work you need to, and the thinner stuff is just there to make the kit work and act as a frame for the carving. How you handle the "step up" and transition is a matter of taste and style, but there are some very good example in STYLUS of these.

3. Several of the jade carved pens use some or both of the techniques described above.

Hope that helped and didnt create even more confusion. If your buddy is an experienced carver, you may want to remind him how "challenging" carving Osage Orange will be. Granted some Osage is not bad to deal with, but some of it is very difficult to carve, and I would recommend dental bits and a high speed power head. I would love to see what you come up with, and see your friends handiwork when he is done!

Robert

fiferb

Here is a pen I hand carved with an exacto knife. It is a slimline. Just add a little bit of bulge in the center and taper it down to the bushings.
<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
tic%20Knot%20Irish%20Bog%20Oak%20and%20Yellowheart.jpg
<br />
<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2007427135828_Celtic%20Knot%20Close%20up.jpg
<br />

bkc

Yes, all the information has been a BIG help. Lord! Why do I take on jobs nobody else wants? lol It's like they seek me out.....

That is a nifty knot pen Bruce, I like it!

I'll make sure I post what comes of the turning and carving. He sounded pretty confident that he could carve it up good. And I checked out the carving he has done and it's just amazing work. So he's going to carve one for me also [:D] I hope the pen doesn't just fall to pieces while he's doing it.

fiferb

Make sure you show him the ends of the pen to see how much material he has to work with. I carved mine before finishing and assembling. You may want to have your friend carve them and then give them back to you for finishing and assembling. FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom