Best tool for turning ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marian

I've made few ebonite pens and I noticed that when I turn black ebonite my HSS tools (skews and scrapers) hold edge quite ok for me. But when I turn some colour ebonite rods (or called by the manufacturer: marbled/mottled), tools dull very very fast (even after few passes). I slowed down the speed and it helped, but not much.

So I'm wondering, what tool will be the best for this material. What do you think ? Are carbide insert tool will help significantly ? Maybe some gouges ? Or just accept what it is and sharpen HSS tool more often ?

Thank you for your opinion.
Marian

TonyL

I stopped using carbon on almost everything, so I can't comment. However, I do have to sharpen (not just hone) my skews often (2 to 3 times per barrel) when turning ebonite.

plantman

Ebonite is neither a wood product nor a poly resin product, but is a vulcanized rubber material with completely different properties. It requires very sharp tools to turn properly, and they may have to be honed or sharpened several times while turning an object. HSS tools can be given a sharper edge than carbide, but the edge will not last as long. The Ebonite has more of an abrasive makeup and thus dulls tools faster. It also transfers a lot of heat when tooled, giving off that pleasant smell. Carbide will take a diamond hone or powder in order to put a sharp mirror finish on it. Jim S

Top Bottom