Berea new kits are here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Hey, don't spurn the ultra cigar either.
Hope the click pen is as kit quality as needed.

Someone does a group buy on these, let me know please. [:p]

bgray

I was at Berea about a two months ago, and they showed me all of those pens in prototype mode. (it took every ounce of restraint to not post about the pens, but I didn't want to steal their thunder...)

They look great in person.

I recommend giving them a try. Especially the upgraded cigar. Sounds like a nice upgraded option for customers that like the cigar, but want something more ornate.

As far as the Sierra click goes, I took a real close look at it, took it apart, and played around with it for a while.

Seems to me like this pen will be the only reliable click pen out there. I have not found a good click pen until this one.

Now keep in mind that they would sell them to me....they only let me see their prototypes. So I have no long term experience with them, but I say thumbs up.

As far as I can tell, we finally have a reliable click pen to make.

armyturner

As far as the Cambridge goes, I would have much rather seen a Black Ti and Platinum Churchill than a dressed up El Grande. The pen may look nice in person, I won't know until I see one, but the picture just screams "CHEAP" to me.

alxe24

I like the cambridge one. The sierra I did not like the looks and the Cigar I like the hardware but don't like the color combo with gold and silver.

bitshird

I think they are all very nice, I tend to sell more Cigars, but the Cambridge looks very nice, as soon as I think I can handle a kit in those price ranges I'm going to try them, I going to order a couple of the click sierras

alamocdc

I liked the look of the new cigar. Not really into click pens, but it just looks odd to me. Doubt I'll ever do one. But the Cambridge is a different matter. I actually like the embellishments made to the El Grande. I think it classes it up a bit.

Mikey

I think the Sierra looks better in person than it does in that picture. Like the poster above, I have seen the new ones and held them. I didn't get pricing at the time, but I will be buying several of the Sierra click pens, but I doubt I'll be buying many of the Cigar pens at $11 a pop. What I like about the click pen is that we don't need to worry anymore about the fit between the tube and nib end being either too snug or too loose. I'd much rather have a pen like this one.

I spoke with Larry on Monday and he told me they did not yet have them in. Guess I'll be stopping in tomorrow to see again.

IPD_Mrs

I think the Cambridge looks like a cheap dressed up El-Grande too.

I did one El Grande and I have one kit left and will never do another. If you put them next to a Jr Gent or even a good cigar they look cheap. Now the new cigars look good and I am sure I will do a few of those. Like some of the others I am not into the click pens as they have a history of being troublesome. Maybe this one will be different, only time will tell. But all in all just like CSUSA the Berea new kits are disapointing. As far as new kits go I would say PSI has won that battle, but I still favor CSUSA's higher line of pens.

Oh well just my 2 cents worth which is about a nickle more than its worth.[:p]
Mike

DaveM

I just placed a huge pen order for the holidays, so I will have to wait until my January order for the new ones. I will probably try the click Sierras, and the Cambridges. I am interested to see how well the clicker holds up. The Cambridge may be a bargain priced luxury pen. (Looks like an attempt to compete with the Statesman, but not quite as smooth looking) I hope the cigar comes out in plating combinations that don't include upgrade gold.

Randy_

One nice thing about the new Sierra kit is that it uses the same drill size and bushings as the original so there is nothing new to buy if you are already doing Sierras.

After being used to the look of the original, I agree with Billy the new one looks a little funny; but that may just be the picture. Guess I will have see what one looks like first-hand.

Draken

The Cambridge says all external components are metal, so perhaps it is more of an upgrade to the El Grande than meets the eye. If so, that could resolve the issues of the nib breaking at the threads that some of us have experienced.

Firefyter-emt

First impression just screams "SUV with 22" dubs" to me.. Now if that "Cambridge" really does have some metal at the nib holder, then that's a major thing. I do kinda like the cigar though. I am just so sick of center bands with a black stripe!

The Cambridge might be a very good seller, and it might just seem "gaudy" becasue we see it as a El-Grande with dressing, but when viewed as itself, it's mostly rather nice. The end cap final I do not care for, but I do like the centerband and the fact that they MATCH the final end (unlike many variations ont he El-Grande)

The listing said that all "external parts" are metal, so forget the redesign in the problem area. [V] Still, you will see one of those fountain pens in my collection soon! [;)]

cdcarter

If the Cambridge is comparable to the Emperor or Jr. Emperor, it's a good value and good alternative.

The cigar is beautiful, but for $12 per I'd expect T/N gold, not upgrade gold.

gerryr

Don't hold your breath for the nib coupler on the Cambridge to be metal. If you take their statement literally, this pen would be quite a bit heavier than the Churchill and it would also mean the section and feed are metal. As for the cigar, I like the looks but won't be buying anything in crapo upgrade gold, particularly not at $12.00 each. It is another example that this group represents a small fraction of the total pen kit sales.

Woodlvr

Rick,
Are the Cigar kits the new ones? How much are they asking for them? I just received an email from Steebar about the 18 new kits they have including the Majestic and so on.

Mike

Randy_

If you haven't already seen them, run an IAP search on the word "steebar" and read thru some of the comments about this company. On top of every thing else, there are other PSI resellers who have better prices.

rickstef

Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />Rick,
Are the Cigar kits the new ones? How much are they asking for them? I just received an email from Steebar about the 18 new kits they have including the Majestic and so on.

Mike

Mike,

I didn't really see the prices in the Cigars, I believe that they are over 9 bucks, maybe 12 or so

I was looking at some other kits at the time when one of the salesman was showing me the other Wall Street Click pens

Rick

Woodlvr

Thanks Rick. I was just curious as the Wall Street II click pens have not arrived at my local WC and I just want to see what they look like.

Randy thanks for your comment also. I try not to deal with Steebar anymore myself after a purchase that was not warranteed as it should have been.

Mike

Husky

It looks to me like the Ultra Cigar is targeted for direct competition with CUSA's Jr Gent II ballpoints. They not only look quite similar , have similar heft and feel, but are both only offered in "upgrade" gold. (Although CUSA does have Rhodium).
Its a shame the platings were not the more durable ones, this will prevent me from making these, especially at $11 a pop.

To me , the Sierra is the "Camry" of pens. Well designed, typically reliable, and appeals to most everyone. Adding a click to this pen leaves me scratching my head......I could see adding a clicker to a Carbarra since the "cone head" top is its most distracting feature, a click mechanism just might make its appearance more "balanced". Oh well, just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom