Banksia Pods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

I have had a bunch of banksia pods just sitting in my shop for years. I admit, they intimidate me. :redface: Can anyone offer suggestions on what to do with them I order to turn a pen? Any turning guidance would be appreciated.
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

I've never made a pen from one, but make Christmas ornaments and lately a couple of novelty items. Without stabilizing, the outside 3/8" is just velvety fluff. I crosscut the length I need, then cut off the velvet on the bandsaw. The holes can be filled with seeds or parts of seeds, so I use a dental pic to clean them out. There can be some radial cracking inside them as well. The velvet will drive you crazy if you try to turn it without dust collection!

sholmes

Slice them, put them in a mold and pour a casting resin (like Alumilite) over them, put into a pressure pot and you'll have some amazing results.

robutacion

I have had a bunch of banksia pods just sitting in my shop for years. I admit, they intimidate me. :redface: Can anyone offer suggestions on what to do with them I order to turn a pen? Any turning guidance would be appreciated.
Jim

G'day Jim,

What sort and size pods are they...!

Show as a couple of pics so that we can see what you've got...!

I have no problems in making a few suggestion for their use, it all depends of what they are...!

Cheers
George

jimm1

I don't have a pressure pot. Any other options regarding casting?
They are hard as a rock. Here is a pix.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 238

robutacion

I don't have a pressure pot. Any other options regarding casting?
They are hard as a rock. Here is a pix.

Yeah, those are the "giant" Banksia species, we have them growing in some areas of Australia (WA) not here unfortunately, some reaching well over 1' 1/2 in length and 6" in diameter, those are great to turn into all sorts of things.

If you were closer, I would be saying, send them to me and I will replace them with some already cast but, with the shipping cost as they are, that's out of question.

You could try to get someone closer to you to cast them for you, in whatever you would like or, you just turn them into something like these...!

PS: I just went back to the Google search engine to look for these type giant Banksia pods prices around when all of a of certain, I started seeing some of my own recent pics of the 2 local Banksia pop types I work with, from the blanks samples to finished pens but that was not all, I started recognizing lots of other castings that I done long ago with these large pod species.

I have many of them send to me for casting into all sorts of stuff, from knife scales, knife blocks, full pods cast for turning into all kinds of stuff and some other creations that I made for very special orders...!:eek:

You know, I'm perfectly aware of how the Web/Internet works (in general terms, off-course) and I know (but often forgotten) that, whatever you put in there, pretty/ugly pics, images of any sort, and every thing word you say on the web, will the there somewhere, available for everyone to see, period, something that, most of us (the vast majority, in fact), tend to forget often, until it all appears in your face, as some of the " web searches" may reveal.

I have mix feelings about it, sure is great to see your work shown to anyone on this Earth however, there are times where, you would hope it wouldn't be there, that's the price to pay, off-course...!

You still get a shock, though...!:wink::biggrin:

See, here right to the end...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom