Bamboo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi All,

I come to the group with a question for some assistance and guidance please. A client of mine would like me to make them a pen and pencil set from bamboo. I have never turned it before and I am even not sure where to get it for pen making. Are there orientations that look best when turning bamboo? What other considerations should i keep in mind when turning and finishing bamboo?

Thank You!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Jim, I have never turned Bamboo as such, but we have a thing here called river bottom cane that I have been told is a close relative of Bamboo. That I have turned and it turns very well with sharp tools. Mine came out very smooth and finished with BLO and CA real nice. As a matter of fact, I have turned a few pens from it. Once it is dried out, it is harder than oak. ours has a tendency to display very fine lines of brown to redish lines running length wise.
There should be samples of flooring available in your area at any flooring supply store. That is becoming a very popular flooring material. Hope this works out for you.
Charles

wood-of-1kind

Hi Jim
I have bamboo blanks to cover your needs. The Rotondo will be good to bring the blanks down to size. Let me know if this helps. I can post a picture of a finished Perfect Fit pen made with bamboo.

Last edited:
Both of these pens are made with bamboo. One with a blank from CSUSA and the other from flooring. If you wax your bushings make sure to seal the ends of the blanks or the wax WILL run into the end of the blank. ( I read that in a book somewhere:redface:) Bamboo also has a tendency to grab your tools and cause you to make deeper cuts than you planned to. It finishes well and one side will have lines the others may have a lot of dots. the more crazy the grain the better it looks.

Attachments

• Bambo.JPG
    Bambo.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Pinstripesi.JPG
    Pinstripesi.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 248

toddlajoie

I've done 2 pens in Bamboo (can only find photos of 1 at the moment...) and it was, for me, no different to turn than most other woods. Maybe a tad bit toward the Wenge end, in that is a bit prone to splinter due to it's stringy nature. I also did one with just a wax finish ( sanded to 1200g, then the Hut PPP sticks) and it has a silky sort of texture to it that I really like, but I don't know how long it will hold up with daily use. The other was done with a CA finish, and it looks sharp. (My sister has this one, Pictured, and her boss keeps trying to steal it.) I'll agree that it is a bit bland, but not in a bad way Mine were the ones that CSUSA sells. I have a bunch of bamboo flooring that I keep meaning to glue up and try, and I also bought a striped bamboo cutting board that I need to cut up for blanks too, I just haven't gotten around to some of this...

Attachments

• Bamboo Sedona 01w.jpg
    Bamboo Sedona 01w.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Bamboo Sedona 02w.jpg
    Bamboo Sedona 02w.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 137

JerrySambrook

Both of these pens are made with bamboo. One with a blank from CSUSA and the other from flooring. If you wax your bushings make sure to seal the ends of the blanks or the wax WILL run into the end of the blank. ( I read that in a book somewhere:redface:) Bamboo also has a tendency to grab your tools and cause you to make deeper cuts than you planned to. It finishes well and one side will have lines the others may have a lot of dots. the more crazy the grain the better it looks.

Hey Chris, where did you find the red striped bamboo?:confused::wink::biggrin:

I did not think they could export it

jaywood1207

Pretty plain unless you dress it up. Another option and my take on it. I had a couple small canes that I used but not sure where you can get them from.

Attachments

• bamboo (Small).JPG
    bamboo (Small).JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 126

aggromere

I got some bamboo blanks from Big Robb. They were hard to turn, at least for me, tough and fiberous. But once you get it turned down and sanded and get the CA on it, it looks outstanding. I just made two pens for a father son that run a seafood market. Man them a black ti cigar pen kit with bamboo upper and a white hollow lower, with their fish logo decaled on. The over all affect was very pleasing to them.

wood-of-1kind

Bamboo on PF

This is "furniture" grade bamboo on a PF which as you are well aware comes both as a pen & pencil style. The "pock" marks give it some distinction which is not very evident on many bamboo species.

P1010003.JPG

arioux

Go to the bargain store, they all have bamboo cutting board. This is where is take mine. $6. for a 12 x 10 x 3/4. makes few blanks and you can decide to cut it grain wise or cross grain.

Thanks Every one for posting your pens and kind information, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a post when you help, it makes a difference ....I will let you all know what I do in time...Thank You!

Top Bottom