Anybody have this problem with fancy slimlines?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I finished up a pen yesterday that was done with the gunmetal finish, fancy slimline. The problem I had was that the top part that goes over the clip section is smaller than the tube. It just fits right in and slides right out, and with the clip having to flex a little, the tip part just won't even pretend liek it's going to stay on!

This is the second time this has happened- the other time it was with a satin gold pen kit I think, also a slimline fancy, and also the only other one of that pen that I've made. I was able to overcome the problem by using GG and a clamp overnight so that it was glued in to the cap part. But has anyone else had this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Yeah, I have run into this problem on occasion. Don't think it is limited to a particular kit or plating type.....just manufacturing tolerances. A drop of CA solves the problem for me.

I'm surprised you are using GG. I would think the foaming would be a problem??

Firefyter-emt

I always dab a bit of CA in 3 spots in the tube before I press then in (even more so with the "round ball" clip design) If it loosens up just a hair the clip will spin and damage the finish. I had a pencil loosen after about 2 weeks and started to scratch the finish. I like to abuse some pens as I am a insurance appraiser on the road and have my pen in and out of my pocket maybe 50 times a day+ I also use it outside so I give them a workout. The one that came loose was a Berea Greek Key pencil. If it's way off and you want to save it I would of used thick CA or a little epoxy... but the gorilla glue?? For blanks, yes, but I would not of used it there.

alamocdc

Angela, I use many of these in a number of platings and have not yet had this problem. However, with the looseness you describe, I'd simply request a replacement part from your supplier. I've found that they are usually happy to oblige.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Interesting point (Billy), Angela, did you try the cap from a different kit to see which part was out of spec?

Also, if you are buying "extra" tubes, there can be a deviation between suppliers that will allow this to happen.

Just 2 thoughts, that should about do me in for the week!!

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
A common problem that you will encounter if you will encounter. Sometimes it is the kit, and sometimes it is from something we have done.

I use the Blue LockTite. It does the job for me, and there is less chance for it ruining the finish. The real advantage is that any excess can be wiped away with a little 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, and it won't damage shellac if you are quick.

Be very careful if you use CA glue. The only thing that will remove it if you have an accident is Acetone, and that can ruin a finish pretty fast.

kf4knf

Good point russ. I have had similar issues with various kits so I will give the ol blue a try. I think I have some left over from building my RC airplane. Not sure if it any cheaper buying it from towerhobbies.com or not. Then again, I would image a bottle would last forever!

DFM

Angboy, you might check the end of your pen mill, if you use one. I had a small burr on the end of my pen mill that reamed out the inside of my tubes just enough to make the nib and cap not stay seated.

bonefish

Not to intentionally steal someone elses thread, but I too have had a similiar but different problem.

On some of my pens, when I finish and install the cap, I find that the tube is such a loose fit that it won't grip the twist mechanism. I have ruined a lot of twist mechanishs by removing them and trying another.

Has anyone else ever had this same problem? If so, is there any way to fix it. Of course, I could CA the cap on, but then replacing the ink refill would present a problem.

Bonefish

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Are you mixing tubes, parts, and transmissions from different manufacturers? The only time I have had consistent problems with parts and transmissions being too tight or too loose was when I tried to mix tubes and parts from Penn State with those from Berea or Craft Supplies. Penn State's 7mm used to be smaller than the others.

fritzmccorkle

i come accross this problem occasionally. not on my own, but from callers. try this...before assembly of a pen check the fit of the parts, or check an unassembled kit. if they fall right in....they don't fit. if they do fit snugly and then when the pen is finished they don't fit, you've changed something. i usually find that the change was caused by a customer using a drilling center vice while barrell trimming. this things are for drilling. the barrell trimmers in my opinion do not run that true and any wobble while having your blank clamped in will result in the brass tube becoming enlarged. i use a little wooden jig that keeps my blank from spinning, but doesn't hold it so tight that the brass becomes enlarged. i've also used channel lock pliers and that works well also. but i could probably find you a new cap piece if you call in also.

bonefish

The Penn State Kits were the ones I had trouble with. They wern't mixed with any others.

After messing up another one the first part of the week, I finally learned to test them first, as Fritz suggested.

Thanks everyone

Bonefish

its_virgil

I just purchased 20 PSI chrome slimlines and have made 5 and on each one (so far) the finial has been a very loose fit. I'm not happy at all, but a drop of CA will hold it in. Where is "inspector 12"?
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by bonefish
<br />The Penn State Kits were the ones I had trouble with. They wern't mixed with any others.

After messing up another one the first part of the week, I finally learned to test them first, as Fritz suggested.

Thanks everyone

Bonefish

Pipes

I put the CA THIN or THICK on a pipe cleaner to glue in a part that is lose and should not be ! The pipe clener lets just enough go on to hold it but NONE gets on the finish that way ! You have a LOT more control than using a bottle tip IMO !!![8D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

mdburn_em

I personally have had the most problems with kits from Berea. I make my pen & pencil sets from Berea slimlines and regular slimline pens I use the ones from PSI. (got 20 free when I bought 50) I have noticed a substantial number of Berea kits, not being tight, snug maybe, but not tight and others just plain falling out. Most from PSI and CSUSA are tight. With fixing the Berea kits, I have a q-tip that I've dripped thin ca on. I hit it with accelerater and now I have the perfect size applicator for a light coat of ca inside the barrel. Once they start getting a little big, it's easy to make another. I've never gotten any on the outside so it works well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom