Antler Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FloridaDon

Hi All,

A friend gave me three complete deer antlers today and I have never made a pen from an antler. Any advice or link to where I can find instructions is appreciated.

Florida Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

No special tools or techniques. Antler is bone, it is hard but turns nicely. Keep your tools sharp and don't try to hog off the material. I put antler pieces between centers and turn to round or almost round then I drill. Drilling is much easier this way.

Some CA may be needed to fill any porous areas you may find. Sand, polish and buff. A CA finish also works well on antler.

The aroma is ... well you'll find out.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jimbob91577

Mmmmm....

...Love that Antler....

I've turned a few, I prefer the material closer to the base of the antler versus closer to the tips - it seems to polish up better for me.

MarkHix

Don's tip about turning it round before drilling will save you alot of misery. Another tip is to blow a fan across the lathe to blow the "fragrance" away from you (and the dust). You won't be sorry.

FloridaDon

Thanks for all the help.

Here is a picture of the antlers.

Florida Don

Attachments

• antlers.jpg
    antlers.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 147

nava1uni

I use the tips and make key rings out of them, I have made secret compartments from them, pens. The smell is similar to burning hair. I have a dust collection system and I don't smell it too much because it is sucked away. With sharp tools it cuts nicely. Makes a beautiful pen.

Crayman

I did find a tutorial a while ago do not remember who's. the 2 best piece of info I got from it were.

1. Create a templet of the tube width and length on plexiglas scribe lines and fill with different colored inks, with outer size lines and a center line. Once the antler is cut to length postion the templet on the piece making sure the tube will stay in the antler. Mark the center line on top and bottom, repeat from 2nd side.These may not be centered but will keep the tube in the antler

2. Create a board to clamp to your drill table with a small nail sticking out, only need 1/4 out of board. Then predrill a small hole the diamater of the nail at the cross created above. Place antler on nail, hold antler with pliers or wear gloves, drill starting on top.

Last edited:

Chasper

I agree that turning it round before drilling will save some anguish later, but I like to leave some bark on the antler when possible. I could still turn it round first, but it would not fit well into a drill press vise because the bark needs to end up very close to the tube if it is going to be saved.
I clamp them into a PH vise with various wood shims stuck in from all directions and it works out at least 9 out of 10 times. Try taking those thicker sections of antler beam and splitting them legnthwise and make two blanks out of them. I pour a lot of thin CA into the really pourus beam sections.

Skye

If you've got a 4 jaw chuck, you can:

Put it between a spur center and a live.
Spin it at low speed so you get an idea what it'll look like. You can choose to leave the bark on at this point by moving the centers around.
Once set, turn one end round, just an inch or so.
Take the round end and put that in a chuck on the lathe.
Jacobs chuck in the tailstock, drill the thing out.

jp_white

As a hunter (not a very good one) and a new turner (learning everyday) I tried my first cartridge/antler pen this week. I used a .308 cartridge with sentimental value and the kits I had availiable at the time. A slimline Nib was a perfect fit. I used a Finial from a euro kit and no centerband. After getting a wiff of the smell while cutting the antler on the band saw I decided to wet sand on the lathe. I do use a shopvac milkjug rig that helps with dust and vapors. I'm not sure if you're supposed to wet sand antler but it worked for me. This is my new favorite pen.

TexasSteel

As a hunter (not a very good one) and a new turner (learning everyday) I tried my first cartridge/antler pen this week. I used a .308 cartridge with sentimental value and the kits I had availiable at the time. A slimline Nib was a perfect fit. I used a Finial from a euro kit and no centerband. After getting a wiff of the smell while cutting the antler on the band saw I decided to wet sand on the lathe. I do use a shopvac milkjug rig that helps with dust and vapors. I'm not sure if you're supposed to wet sand antler but it worked for me. This is my new favorite pen.

Jp just my 2cents. I sand to 400 grit use eee and sometimes plastic polish polishes very nice and a good friction polish to finish. I've had very good luck over the past years with it. Have some accelerator and thick CA to fill any marrow spots..........

Top Bottom