Antler Blanks???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I thought I read in here someone suggested a couple places you can get antler blanks from. I can not seem to find that post so can someone help??? Thanks for the reply.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

erbymcbrayer

I stopped at a couple of taxidermist business and ask if they might have a few antlers that I could get from them, They ask what I wanted them for,I told them I make WRITING PEN AND would make them a pen, they gave me antlers and thought the pens were great.

les-smith

This company here in Oklahoma sells some pre-drilled antler blanks. I've never bought from them, but this might be what you read about.

http://www.augumspenworks.com/apwwebsite_033.htm

These are the only pre-cut/pre-drilled antler blanks I know of, but I agree if you want to make your own blanks a taxidermist may be the best place to start.

bkersten

I stopped at a couple of taxidermist business and ask if they might have a few antlers that I could get from them, They ask what I wanted them for,I told them I make WRITING PEN AND would make them a pen, they gave me antlers and thought the pens were great.

I did the same thing when I was with the WV State Police years ago. I added them to the fresh road kill receipt list and over time I had more than I could turn and still do, both big and little spikes. Still have about 4 foot lockers full left. Now since I heard on here that boiling water straightens them I have very little waste now. :)

helgi

John,
Up here in canada I was putting some feelers out for antler racks,
was told to ask the farmers as the bucks shed the antlers every year.
And the farmers do not like to drive over them, puncherd tires so they will let me go in the field to gather them they mostly know where they are too.
contact the local fish and game club,offer them some pens for prize draws etc.
Hope this might give you some idea.
Helgi.
Rosthern,SK.

Pre-drilled antler blanks

John as les-smith recommended the augum's pen works is the place to go for pre-drilled antler, at 3.50 a shot you can see if you want to deal with the antler. I started there; saw I could work the antler ok and then started collecting some racks from my hunting buddies. I like working with the antler myself. The other recommendations work well for racks that you can cut and drill yourself. The cutting and drilling is not that hard to accomplish. Give it a shot :good:

jttheclockman

Wow Beck another cool site. You know my favoites list keeps growing and growing since I found this site and became interested in turning pens. I better do a copy and save these things in case disaster strikes. Thanks all and I will think I will try the predrilled ones and maybe pick up a few undrilled and test these. If it works out I do know of a Taxidermist 2 towns over and will have to take a look see. I think the antler on those cartridge pens looks so cool.

Top Bottom