Another Bullet pen question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JamesB

I was asked by a co-worker if I could make a pen using a casing that was fired at her step-fathers funeral, of course I said I could.
I read the articles in the library and searched the forum and still have questions.
First, how do I remove the crimping? Can I use my set of punches to round the mouth out?
I assume I can use the press fit ring at woodnwhimsies after I round the mouth, right? And then a slimline copper tip from them as well.
Is there any particular way to press the primer out and drill the hole?
I really need to get some to practice on, I'm afraid I'm going to wreck it.
Attached is a pic of what she gave me. It's a 7.62, same as a 30.06 right?
Thanks, Jim

Attachments

• P1020899.jpg
    P1020899.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 199
  • P1020900.jpg
    P1020900.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JamesB

If memory serves me right...the 7.62 round is the same as a .308. It sounds like you have never done one of these before.
Is it THAT obvious? LOL I usually just buy the kits, the library articles had soldering and I don't have any soldering equip.

Sylvanite

Jim,

That looks like a 30-06 blank to me. Be careful expanding the case mouth -- it will tend to break at the crimps. Punches may work, but I use a series of tapered expanding balls in a 30-06 sizing die to reform the shellcase.

Take a look at 21 Gun Salute Pen Kit for some ideas.

I hope that helps,
Eric

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Jim: I do mostly .308's but the sequence would be close. I use reloading dies to do my pens. The (dead/spent) primer could most likely be knocked our with a small punch. The hole for the flash is not as large as the size of the primer. The size to drill the hole would have to do with whether you are doing Parker style tranny or slimline style tranny. My personal preference is the parker. Now comes the fun part. Do you have a friend who reloads. I nearly always trim once fired brass. You may or may not need to open the mouth of the casing to insert the bullet. The mouth should be beveled slightly, inside and out. Once the bullet is seated to a depth that will allow proper extension of the ink cartridge, the mouth of the casing needs to be crimped. This requires a crimping die. If you have this seating die set too deep, you can crush the end of the casing, thereby making it useless. I'm not trying to scare you off, but considering the "worth" of this casing, to your friend, if you have never done any reloading, I would recommend you summon the assistance of a friend who has. Next issue, the 7.62 as well as the rest of the common calibers are caliber specific. Whoever you choose may possibly be void of these dies. If you choose to go it on your own and buy the dies, the cheapest way would probably be with "Lee" Loading Dies. This is what I began reloading with about 45 years ago. With these, you can get by without a reloading press. It is done manually, with a mallet. Just be patient and "gentle" I hope this helps.

Last edited:

JamesB

I'm getting closer to having all the material in hand for making this pen but need to know how to drill the hole. I punched the primer out and the flash hole isn't exactly centered like I thought it would be. I saw a tutorial by Seamus that showed drilling from the mouth and out the primer end, is that the best way? I planned on just using the primer hole as a guide and drilling through that way.
Another person at work has asked me to make of these pens for him as well.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If I were you, I would get a hold of some that you don't care about, so you can ruin a few, learning.

We have Gander Mountain locally---If you have no place nearby, PM me your address and I will send you a few 30-06 to play with.

I will tell you my first one would not have been a "keeper"!!

ALA

Hope you don't mind me following along here guys. I want to make some my self. I have access to fired and unfired of most any type round since I have a friend that reloads. A co-worker gave me a "live" round that he wants a pen made from but as of yet I, nor my reloading friend, has gotten it a part. It doesn't have any caliber markings on it and my friend couldn't get the bullet out of the casing with the bullet puller.

tool-man

I drill from the primer end, on my lathe. The casing is held in place using a collet chuck on the headstock. A drill chuck is mounted in the tailstock. I would recommend using a center drill (or spotting drill) (see attached thumbnail) to ream out and center the hole. A center drill is short and stubby and won't flex like a regular drill would tend to do. Take it slow with the center drill and let it ream out a centered hole. A lubricant helps. After starting the hole with the center drill change to whatever size drill you need for the hole.

Using a collet chuck holds the casing in a perfectly centered position and any offset in the original primer hole can be overcome.

Red River Pens has some good articles on cartridge pens including this good tutorial. http://www.redriverpens.com/pdf%20files/Cartridge%20instructions%20SWAT.pdf

I'm getting closer to having all the material in hand for making this pen but need to know how to drill the hole. I punched the primer out and the flash hole isn't exactly centered like I thought it would be. I saw a tutorial by Seamus that showed drilling from the mouth and out the primer end, is that the best way? I planned on just using the primer hole as a guide and drilling through that way.
Another person at work has asked me to make of these pens for him as well.

Attachments

• centerdrills.jpg
    centerdrills.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 114

tool-man

Please avoid working with live ammunition. You are simply asking for trouble.
Hope you don't mind me following along here guys. I want to make some my self. I have access to fired and unfired of most any type round since I have a friend that reloads. A co-worker gave me a "live" round that he wants a pen made from but as of yet I, nor my reloading friend, has gotten it a part. It doesn't have any caliber markings on it and my friend couldn't get the bullet out of the casing with the bullet puller.

Wingdoctor

I used to be a huge reloader, 30+ different calibers. If the round you cannot get the bullet out with a bullet puller is a military round, It may have the bullet sealed into the case with an asphalt compound. Some arsenals use this to make the bullet/case junction waterproof. This can make it very difficult to remove the bullet with an inertia puller. There are collet bulltet pullers available that use the reloading press leverage to aid in the removal. I have still pulled the rim off of the case trying to remove the sealed bullet. My advise would be to stop trying to remove the bullet with the puller so that an accident cannot happen that can hurt. It's better to find a fired case and use it with a new bullet instead of losing a finger. Best of luck.

Last edited:

ALA

Thanks for the info and concern guys. Believe me, I'm VERY careful with live ammo. When my friend said he couldn't get the bullet out with the puller that was the end of it for me.

Shoot my finger off? I'd probably shoot an eye out!

JamesB

Here it is again, partially cleaned up.

Went to the shooting range to get some shells to practice on and they gave me some handgun shells since no rifles were shooting that day. Drilling on the drill press was surprisingly easy. I'm happy with how it's going so far, I'm thinking there's a snag coming somewhere, cuz this has been pretty easy so far. Now I wonder how to make a pen from all the 45cal casings I have.
I'll try and post one of the finished product.

Attachments

• 3006.jpg
    3006.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom