Am I Being Too Hard on Myself?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I picked up my first copy of Pen World this past week and really enjoyed viewing through the pages, some very inspiring work.

One page stumped me though and it caused me to wonder if I am being too critical of my own work. I think of myself as a capable pen maker, not great but okay. I am mostly driven by the design of kit hardware and what sells for me, these are things that make me feel fine about what I want to do in pen making.

I had to wonder though, after looking through the whole magazine a few times that one ad on one of the pages kept me confused. This page was an ad featured hardware used by a pen maker using available CSUSA hardware, the pen body it self though was not what I would call a clean design. The pinched body reminds me of some thing I would have done if I made an error in turning the body. This ad offers the pens he sells for around $1k.
Scan10015.jpg

I do not know if I am missing something but to me this design does not offer the value I would consider in a pen at such a price nor the design quality...Am I missing something?

There are three pens in this ad and I can see turned details on all of them that I would not present in an ad in such a magazine, maybe it's an optical illusion but I see flat spots also in a design that feartures pen bodies with curves going flat...a continous curve does not have flat spots? Hey, maybe we are all aspiring to acheive someting that only we care about? Pens priced at these values must have customers I presume, but what do I know, I am only considering the design of the pen body to the hardware chosen.

Please, I am inviting comments and not attacks, I do not know this person nor am I in anyway attacking their integrity or skills, just offering up the advertised design that is publically presented and seeking comments.

Perhaps I am being too hard on myself or my prices are too low if this is the case...:)

Has there been anyone else who has seen this and wondered the same?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

Seen it. Thought it. However, if he finds a customer to buy it, he wins. I would have thought it was over-priced even if it didn't have the "amateurish" odd shape. I am all for elevating prices of our craft, but I also have a problem seeing the value on this one.

They are selling the sizzle and not the steak.

They are looking to develop a market of high paying clients and are willing to spend the money in advertising in this magazine with the hopes of capturing that market.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Asking and getting are two different things...but I do think you are probably too hard on yourself, Jim. Your work is always stunning.

gerryr

I agree with Lou. I think we're all much harder on ourselves than any of our customers are.

The same pen was on page 16 of the November issue along with two others.

dfurlano

That is not always true, and in fact it is insulting to people that do the time and spend the money to make something of value. It has a lot to do with the materials used and time spent.

mick

Without knowing what the material is or the labor involved I can't give an informed opinion. I can however give my "uninformed opinion". I don't like it and agree with the word "amateurish" however this is just an opinion. I did notice on the finial end that the pen is signed, or numbered ....can't tell which. Maybe this is where the 1k price comes from. As Jim says, if someone is willing to buy it thats all well and good. I feel knowing my regular customers, I'd have trouble selling something looking like that.

wudnhed

I think the signature is E. M. Adams from what I can tell. I do like the colors and the fact that the indentation is right in the middle of the barrel makes me think he, she designed it that way. I also think the bump on the other end is the edge of the clip. I personally don't care for the design if that's what the maker intended but to each his own.

gerryr

E.M. Adams didn't make the pen. The pens are made by Barry Gross. E.M. Adams is a painter and individually paints each pen.

Skye

Bottom line is, pens are worth what people are willing to pay for them.

If you can sleep well at night selling ice to eskimos, go for it. Me, I dont know...

Thus the $1k price tag.

Hand painting isn’t total justification for a pricetag. If the pen cost $10K, would you still offer the same simplistic reasoning?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Gerry's answer has a lot to do with the price. Besides being a very decent man, Barry Gross is a "big name" in the penturning trade. While I am not familar with the name E.M. Adams, it seems reasonable to assume that he/she is likely well known. Name recognition is important. This is very true WRT price. For example, note the prices Mont Blanc pens command.

FWIW,

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Gerry's answer has a lot to do with the price. Besides being a very decent man, Barry Gross is a "big name" in the penturning trade. While I am not familar with the name E.M. Adams, it seems reasonable to assume that he/she is likely well known. Name recognition is important. This is very true WRT price. For example, note the prices Mont Blanc pens command.

FWIW,

Hi William,

I am sure Barry is indeed a very decent man.[:)]

I guess I'll post my summery of thoughts post here...My focus was the design of the pen , and wondering if that was something if posted on , say for example the SOYP forum that people would not say something about the shape or not....

I am not questioning anything except the pen design and the preceived quality of the look...I am sure some one will be very happy to buy it and good for Barry when it sells.

My only focus over time for myself has been to improve my own design and form...and at what point do we say that we are past being a novice and allow our self to feel confident in our work in public enough to be happy with it, regardless if we are sellers or not.[:)]

These are just general comments on a design I was suprised to see in a magazine that I keep hearing about and thought it looked out of place. I still can not but help to think if the pen was presented on SOYP forum that every one posting would have made a comment on the pinched look of the form.

[:)]

Again I do not know who Barry is nor does that influence me if he is a famous pen turner or not, this was not posted as a critisim of Barry as a person.[:)]

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I am sure the artist charged for their work on the pen and would be considered a cost in making the pen. I do not know that for sure, as the artist may be a friend and did not charge anything, but the artists I know like to eat, and actually charge for their work.

A local artist that is highly regarded in an area that the pen maker is selling would be a very good combination for people who both like art, and a good pen, so I could definitely see the appeal. For the right audience this could be a unique pen that nobody else has, or can duplicate, a powerful elixir for rabid collectors.

I think when your skill and design are unique and of quality, you should charge whatever you want. If you do not sell pens, I guess you are asking too much, but if you sell them, you have fulfilled someone's needs or wants.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom