Aluminum Cans and Metal Lathe/tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RSidetrack

Okay - so I have this segmenting idea I want to do but wanted to get an opinion. I want to segment with a layer of aluminum in between the segments. I figured since I have tons of aluminum cans that is where I can get the metal from, but I have never done anything with metal before so was wondering if this would destroy my tools? I know it is a thin soft metal but just wasn't sure if this would be okay.

Thanks guys!

Edit: Realized that I said Metal tools - I meant wood tools.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

I used regular tools to turn down brass nuts to use a ferrules on tool handles...thin aluminum strips - no problem.

weasel1219

There have been no problems when I use aluminum cans and I have used double layers and they still work fine with no added stress on the tools. Sharp tools are the main ingredient in any wood turning project...

RSidetrack

Thanks everyone - I can't wait to get this project started. I am working with a patriotic theme and getting a couple ready for a 4th of July fundraiser.

RSidetrack

There have been no problems when I use aluminum cans and I have used double layers and they still work fine with no added stress on the tools. Sharp tools are the main ingredient in any wood turning project...
I agree - this is why my grinder is right next to me :wink: However, I am sure they will dull a little faster, but as long as they don't get ruined that is all that matters :biggrin:

PTsideshow

Both the insides and out sides of the can have a tough epoxy coating on them the inside to prevent a metallic taste. And the outside to prevent the removal of the printing cheaper brands and then reprinting of say coke on the outside. They were bootlegging them a number of years ago both soft drinks and beer.

Only really aggressive solvents will remove them, sanding is better as no sludge or other nasties or fumes to deal with.
:clown:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Don't be aggressive in turning; take lighter bites than if you were using wood only. Aggressiveness creates more catches and it builds heat which will cause separating. Nothing special to worry about but to "be aware of" more than anything else.

+1 on keeping the sharpener next to the lathe.

I have done quite a bit of brass and aluminum segments quite a bit. No problems.

Soup

What do you folks find to be the best adhesive for aluminum. I have been wanting to try this.

leehljp

Member Liaison
What do you folks find to be the best adhesive for aluminum. I have been wanting to try this.

Both CA and epoxy work. Some people have problems with CA and some with Epoxy. Both work for me but - it depends on what I am doing and what I "feel" like doing at the moment. If I am doing one blank and simple segments, I may use thick CA. If I am gluing up two or more and have complex steps in the segments, I will use a 15 - 20 minute to 1 hour epoxy.

Epoxies generally allow for more set-up times and are more forgiving if something wrong and a few extra minutes of open time are needed.

whegge

I have used both CA and Epoxy, both work fine. I prefer epoxy as it allows more time to play with getting everything lined up.

Also, I have turned aluminum as thick as 1/8th with no problems. Sharp tools like everyone has said is the key.

markspens

Here is 1 I turned over the weekend. It is a Miller Lite can cut in strips and set in Alumilite white.

Attachments

• alum.jpg
    alum.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 83

Alzey

I haven't done metal yet but will doing this soon. Make sure you are wearing a full face shield. I have have had several pieces thrown from the lathe that made me jump just for the sound of it hitting my shield.

Top Bottom