Adding a decoration to a clip?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RosezPenZ

I would like to add a "charm" to a pen clip, but I'm not sure what to use to attach it. I have a pewter monkey that i need to attach to a "tin?" clip. It's a clip from a pk-penxx kit. I assume it is tin. How do I tell? I also have some other small metal decorations I would like to add to the clips but am unsure about the materials used. I was going to use thick CA glue, but after reading several articles about the fumes leaving white residue, I am hesitant to try that. Any ideas and suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Rose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Unless you are planning on the pen being a display item, I think you are limited to either having it welded on or riveted on. The base metal on most of our kits is steel. The clip takes the brunt of the wear and tear. I doubt even JB Weld would hold for long.

fiferb

Could it be attached to the finial in some way? Without seeing a picture of what you are trying to attach it is difficult to conceptualize, for me anyway.

RosezPenZ

photo

I am going to attempt to add a photo

Attachments

• monkeyclip 8-14-2008 8-05-03 AM.jpg
    monkeyclip 8-14-2008 8-05-03 AM.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 162

RosezPenZ

it worked

Yeah, it worked. The charm is pewter, you can see the back is uneven, and the clip is titanium, I assume coated, it is from penn state.
I had a thought last night. What if I file a slot in the back of the charm just so the clip will fit flat and snug, maybe even recessed a bit. Then maybe use JB-weld to hold it on, or what if I was to use a fine torch and heat the back of the clip the the 488 F+, would it melt the pewter enough to hold it on? Yes, I'm aware it may not hold up to much use but I doubt the end user of this pen will be using it much, It will be more of a show off pen.

bitshird

Pewter has a low melting point (231.88° C [449.38° F]) which is why I mentioned riveting.
Indian Jewelers supply as well as Rio Grande Jewelers both carry a low temp solder designed for use with pewter , might get lucky and not even scorch the plating on the clip, the solder has a reasonable joint strength,

sdemars

Perhaps "flatten" the rear. drill & tap the clip, install stud, drill hole in "monkey", slid over stud with epoxy . . . . worked to add chrome stars to a Harley . . .

railrider1920

Perhaps "flatten" the rear. drill & tap the clip, install stud, drill hole in "monkey", slid over stud with epoxy . . . . worked to add chrome stars to a Harley . . .

I was going to suggest something right along these lines. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, if is worth the probable cost (whatever it would be), maybe you could have a jeweler do it for you? Maybe something as small as a screw that goes into the arm of a pair of glasses?

ldb2000

A jeweler should be able to solder it on the clip , they do make low melting point solders for soldering pewter that would work and make a fairly strong joint .
I made a pen for a customer with a pewter Pooh bear holding a honey pot (a charm from a broken bracelet she had , I cast it into a clear finial (like yoyospins Doohickeys)and put it on the top of the pen , it was a little big but looked nice (wish I had taken some pictures) she just loved the pen .

nava1uni

It looks like the charm has a depression from the back side. fill the depression with solder and file it flat then either solder it or use a drop of CA, but cover the other metal with painter's tape so the fumes don't whiten the metal. Let it dry overnight and then remove the tape.

Top Bottom