Acrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Neededwill

So for some reason I keep trying to turn acrylics and I have learned, they do not like me at all. Either it blows up on drilling, or squaring or during turning. I have read I think every article on acrylics but it keeps being a fail.

I will just give up on them, wood is my friend, lol.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Slow...drill, square and turn slowly. Tools must be sharp. What tools are you using.
Acrylic finishes up beautifully. Don't give up.

Last edited:

wyone

One thing that made a HUGE difference in my success was when I started drilling differently. I use a pen vice and drill press but keep a constant flow of compressed air blowing on the bit and only go about 1/4 inch then out and back and forth. But i NEVER drill all the way through the blank. When I did that I had LOTS of issues. I think what happens is that the drilling through creates microfractures inside the hole that you cannot easily see and when you get the outside thinned up it can no longer hold together.

Just my experience. But since I started NOT drilling all the way, using a lot of thick glue and using a skew my success rate has gone way up

turncrazy43

Don't give up. Keep practicing. Drill slow, clear often. Cut the blank longer than needed by about 1/4". then cut off the undrilled end to the proper length. Use sharp tools, small cuts and don't be in a hurry till you get the hang of it. If a pen mill is a problem for squaring the ends, try to square them on a disc sanding, a lot less stress on the end of the blanks.

I don't do too many wood ones anymore, but the tools have to be sharp for acrylics. Don't be too aggressive with the cuts, either, until you get the hang of it. Keep trying, hard to beat a well polished acrylic.

magpens

I am confident you can get the hang of it if you follow the others' advice above. Keep your drilling speed SLOW as suggested above, and clear the swarf from the drill bit often. You'll get it !! A nicely turned and polished acrylic is well worth the extra time and patient care, as others have said.

jttheclockman

Not all acrylics are the same and some take a whole lot more care when working with. You got some good advice already but if you do a search of past threads you may learn a few more things. Really acrylics are easier to work than some woods because you do not have that cracking factor even after it is done. They do not expand and contract like woods. Keep working at it. Good luck.

csr67

Even as a newbie, I've had good luck turning acrylics. A few lessons learned:

1. Proper Glue-up of the blank! I had a few blow-outs when using CA. Since switching to 5 minute epoy and making sure both ends of the blank are well covered, no issues.

2. Sharp tools! I switched to "Easy Woodworker" carbide tipped tools, and they cut through acrylic like melted butter. I know it's not the purist way, but man do my pens sure turn out better with these tools. I used a square bladed rougher and then a circular blade finish tool.

PapaTim

Have you considered help from a turning club? The AAW shows a chapter in Rockville, MD. Acrylics can open up new possibilities for you.

Tom T

Turning club idea is really good. Or if you have a local Wood Craft they might have classes.
If you vacation to central Florida stop by and we will turn a few.
If I can do it you can. Slowest speed on the drill press, never get any heat build up. I stop from time to time and let it all cool. I drill all the way through using a pen vice. Here's a thought never tight on the pen vise just snug. Really just snug, if not the pressure cracks the hollow blank. Never use a pen mill, that started killing me even though it worked at first. Use a small disc sander to square it up. Glue the tube really well. I still use thin epoxy. I use only a very sharp roughing gouge and it works great. Sharpen at least once during turning. 1,200 rpm.
I have done a hundred or more. It gets better with time. Cut slow and tapper off the ends as you go. Come from the center to off the ends. Do not attack from the edges. It will explode.

nava1uni

Check the speed of your drill press. Drill with a sharp drill bit. I use a spray bottle to keep the blank cool. keep pulling out the bit to remove the bits so it does not cause heat or pressure build up. Do not drill through the bottom, but cut the last bit off with a saw. I use epoxy for all blanks as I feel the tubes adhere better then CA.

79spitfire

I had the opposite happen the other day, spend all day turning acrylics (plastic) pens then decided to do a maple burl I had sitting around that had been stabilized. It shattered like crystal hitting concrete. Had a dandy looking grain pattern too!

dwilson

I have found acrylics turn easy, but i learned the hard way to clean the tube well before assembly. as I got length wise cracks. And to keep the heat down while turning.
Doug

Top Bottom