acrylic methods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JHFerrell

Hey guys....recently received some acrylic acetate blanks from BB and am experiencing some trouble with them. I'm sure its my technique and not the blanks. When I'm turning one, I get these long "string like" shavings that wrap themselves around the blank and mandrel. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? I like the looks of some of the acrylics etc etc but it seems thay may be more trouble than they are worth. Can anyone help me out here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Pretty common occurance with most all the acrylics. You should see how bowling ball wraps around your mandrel! You just need to stop often and clear it off.

PenWorks

John, that is the cut you want. When it is not coming off in a nice string, you will
find yourself chipping and grinding in the blank. You got it right [:)]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />John, that is the cut you want. When it is not coming off in a nice string, you will
find yourself chipping and grinding in the blank. You got it right [:)]

I agree. I mount my dust collector hose close to the blank and it pulls the "string" right in. I don't need to stop very often since I started using the DC.

btboone

Exactly what I was going to mention Mudder.

I need to be careful on the CNC to listen to the strings wadding up. It can cause the lathe to overload and turn itself off. I'd do the vacuum trick there, but I can't open the door when it's running and I also use coolant. I do use the shop vac when turning by hand though.

jkoehler

I just turned some acrylic and had long strings all over. I also have a static issue and have the acrylic sticking all over the place.
As long as your chisels are sharp you will get the long strings. they will usually unwrap just by touching them.

53Jim

As was mentioned already, use a dust collector, if available. It has saved me from having to stop the lathe to clear the mandrel. Now the only thing I can complain about is the WAD of acrylic string stuck on the impeller of my dust collector. I usually have to clear the impeller after each acrylic pen I make. It seems to suck much better after it's been cleaned.

HTH

M

Mudder

Originally posted by 53Jim
<br /> I usually have to clear the impeller after each acrylic pen I make. It seems to suck much better after it's been cleaned.

Jim,

I had that problem until I made a trash can seperator. Now all the larger chips fall out into the trash can which I empty every couple of weeks and the DC bag catches the fine stuff and needs to be emptied every month or so. I made mine from a cheap wal-mart steel trash can and a couple pieces of sewer pipe. I think the total cost was about $15.00 and it is well worth it if you have the room. If you don't want to make one you can get the lid from woodcraft and just buy a trash can and be in business. Here's a link:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4310

53Jim

Thanks Mudder. Geez, I feel like I'm insulting you by calling you that. Anyway, I already have one of those seperater lids and never thought to use it. That gives me something to do tommorrow night.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom