about the gel pilot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

A customer saw my Electra in Malachite it was a rollerball. He is totally against any type of rollerball pen.

He wants the malachite so Can I use a pilot gel to replace the 5888 rollerball?
Does the pilot gel write like a ballpoint?

In the back of my mine ~~ I thought the pilot gel writes like a ballpoint?

Please correct me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'll be watching this thread also. I still am not sure about the differences between gel and regular ink... or between ball and rollerpoint, for that matter.
If anyone can shed some light here I'll be more than grateful.

TIA

Last edited:

PenMan1

The Pilot G2 gel works very nicely in place of the 5888. In fact, in the last year, my G2 sales .05 and .07 refills have surpassed my 5888 refill sales.

I am finding that many of my customers want to purchase the pens that use Pilot refills. My suggestion is to visit your nearest Office Depot or Staples and purchase a few of the Pilot refills and write with them. Here these refills are about 1/2 the cost of the Schmidt refills.

Personally, I like these refills. They write as effortlessly as a rollerball and do a far superior job in going through NCR 2 & 3 part forms. Additionally many of them are permanent ink (a disatvantage of the 888 and 5888).

Last edited:

frank123

I'll be watching this thread also. I still am not sure about the differences between gel and regular ink... or between ball and rollerpoint, for that matter.
If anyone can shed some light here I'll be more than grateful.

TIA
The real differences are in the ink.

A gel uses a polymer type of carrier and uses opaque pigments for the color.

A ball point uses an alcohol carried dye and a roller ball uses water based fountain pen inks.

They all have a different feel when writing and a gel is (I think) better for slick and less absorbent surfaces than a RB or BP.

Gel and RB run out of ink faster since they lay more down.

RB and Ballpoint inks are usually relatively easy to wash out of checks or legal documents and less secure than the pigment based gel inks which cannot be washed out by any normal means (if any) from most paper.

I think most people select from the three by the way it feels and the color rather than security reasons, but if you are pushing a gel it is a good sales pitch about it. Same for archival quality ink in a dropper fill or cartridge conversion RB system.

This is, of course, from my limited understanding and stands to be corrected by anyone with greater knowledge.

Top Bottom