.9 mm lead pencil?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have a request from an Architect that I am working with to make him a couple of pencils. He really prefers .9 mm lead and I have not seen a kit with this. Can anyone tell me if there is one out there. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I don't know about kit pencils in .9mm, but you can get pentel's and drill a blank for it with a step drill to turn. As if you didn't already know that :)

gwilki

Curtis: Schmidt makes a twist .9 pencil mechanism - their number DBS11. I have no idea where to find them, though. The only .9's I've done are Pentels.

Randy_

Curtis:

This question has come up before and I have never seen a good answer. To the best of my knowledge, the "PENTEL" solution is probably going to be your easiest solution. You could either make the standard wooden Pentel or you could get a little inventive and see if you could adapt the guts of a Pentel to one of the commonly available kit pencils.

I haven't really given it much consideration; but it seems to me it is quite likely that you could modify an existing pencil kit to accept a Pentel 0.9mm mechanism without a terribly great deal of difficulty.

As was mentioned earlier, Schmidt does make a 0.9mm mechanism.(actually two) http://www.schmidttechnology.de/en/schreibgeraete/produkte/bleistiftmechaniken/c_1_2_1.htm

You might try contacting Schmidt and see if they can put you in touch with a retail source for the mechanisms. I don't imagine Schmidt would sell directly to you unless you wanted to purchase 500 or 1000 mechanisms.

Other thing you might do is to convince Berea or BB to start carrying the Schmidt 0.9mm mechanism along with the 0.5 and 0.7mm mechanisms that they already stock.

DMStewart

I had a request for a .9 pencil in a Mont Blanc style. The problem was finding a .9 insert. Ed from Exoticblanks.com came through for me as he has started carrying them. Then to find a kit. I tried the 8mm European Roundtop from Berea but the insert would not fit the center connector. Then I tried the Perfect Fit Convertible. Center connector was fine after I trimmed the small flange off the pencil insert. The next problem was that the .9 insert would not fit the nib. I modified a 9/64 drill bit by grinding a taper with a Dremel while the drill press turned the bit. I then proceeded to drill out the nib. Test fitting the insert in the nib periodically helps in not drilling too far. The nib does get rather thin so a better method of holding the nib centered would result in a better finished product. I've only made one so far but the results were pretty good.

Attachments

• 9 pencil a.jpg
    9 pencil a.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 9 pencil b.jpg
    9 pencil b.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

PenMan1

Schmidt makes a .9 mm lead pencil mechanism that fits directly into the Berea Perfect Fit Pen/ Pencil Convertible.

At one point, several vendors had the Perfect Fit pencil insert. Beartooth Woods had them and one point, several of the European distributors have or had the 9 mms. At one point, there were rumors that Exotic Blanks had a few.

I'll check my stash, and if you only need one or two, I may be able to scare one up. That DOES require shop cleaning, so PLEASE try the vendors first:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Using the above as a guide, it took me a little less than half an hour to do the first conversion. The .9mm Schmidt mech (which we do have) will fit into the Perfect Fit, with minor changes to the length of the mechanism.

I also drilled out the nib and made the shoulder farther down---this may not have been necessary, as the real problem was the shoulder on the pencil insert. That DOES have to be removed for the transmission to screw back in place.

When you are finished, the transmission will depress the top of the insert, allowing the lead to advance, when the "pen" is in the extended position. When in the "withdrawn" position, the pen transmission is not engaging the pencil mech, so everything writes normally.

Pretty cool,
Ed
YMMV (depending on how well you adapt to mechanical problems)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
My original post is over 5.5 years old so I no longer have any need. Actually, in that time, I have quite building and working with architects and moved on to other things! However, I am sure this thread will be helpful to someone else.

Just thought I would mention that in case some of the offers of parts made in the last few days were directed to me. I appreciate the offer but no longer needed!

DMStewart

Ed - you said you shortened the .9 insert and removed some of the shoulder from the insert? I only drilled the nib and removed the flange from the mechanism. How did you go about modifying the shoulder of the mechanism?

Curtis: I wasn't sure about where to post this so I just added it to the same topic instead of restarting it. But your original question led me to the right places to get the parts.Thanks!
Dale

Last edited:
Top Bottom