2 quick questions about celtic twist pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Apologize if these have already been asked

1. Is that 'jewel' thing on the finial removable?

2. One of the reviews at psi says that the nib is plastic with a metal like coating on it? Can someone confirm or clarify?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cal91666

Dan, I don't have an answer for question 1 but did go to shop to check the answer to question 2. I found that no part of the pens components are made from a material that is attracted to a magnet.

cal91666

I made one for my wife but left the stone in. I agree it would look much better with a custom finial but hate the thought of wasting a kit if it doesn't easily come out without damage. I'm hoping someone has an answer to share.

eliasbboy

I made one for my wife but left the stone in. I agree it would look much better with a custom finial but hate the thought of wasting a kit if it doesn't easily come out without damage. I'm hoping someone has an answer to share.

I believe I may have a damaged kit at home. Don't ask. :redface:

I honestly cannot remember if the damaged kit was a Victorian or a Celtic. I made a bunch of both recently.

If it's a Celtic I'll gladly do a little Frankensteining on it to see if the nib is indeed plastic, and if the jewel is removable.

Dan Masshardt

I believe I may have a damaged kit at home. Don't ask. :redface: I honestly cannot remember if the damaged kit was a Victorian or a Celtic. I made a bunch of both recently. If it's a Celtic I'll gladly do a little Frankensteining on it to see if the nib is indeed plastic, and if the jewel is removable.

That would be cool. Don't break usable parts though.

eliasbboy

"eliasbboy;1655265" said:
I believe I may have a damaged kit at home. Don't ask. :redface: I honestly cannot remember if the damaged kit was a Victorian or a Celtic. I made a bunch of both recently. If it's a Celtic I'll gladly do a little Frankensteining on it to see if the nib is indeed plastic, and if the jewel is removable.

That would be cool. Don't break usable parts though.

I apologize for the wait but I just now had time to get out and look. Unfortunately it was a Victorian that I was thinking of. I'll take a look at the Celtic tomorrow tho and see if I can do anything with the jewel.

Tom T

I am turning one tonight. Have made several and have never notice it being plastic. But it is different. I am pretty sure the art above it is a cat metal.
Dan scrap on the inside below the thread and let is know.

My worst issue is getting the part above the tip even with the barrel. It seems it is slightly small than it says or my micrometer was reading. Top fits good need to take a little more off the bottom. I am going for really, really good on this one as it is going with a green and wood blank from Curtis.

rblakemore

I have made one Celtic

I have both a Celtic and a Victorian in my hand now. The only parts of the Celtic which are steel (ferrous) based are the spring and the twist mechanism. I made one Celtic with a green metallic blank and it came out very well, take a look at the attached picture. I do not think that the green stone in the cap can be removed easily. That limits choices of the blank and I chose the green metallic quite purposefully.

On the Victorian, only the spring and part of the cap are steel. My wife and I purchased as a possible "feminine" desk pen; but, it is pretty large in diameter and heavy. I turned this in one pink trustone, I think that it came out well also, take a look at the attached picture.

Attachments

• 9T4A6417_v2_compressed.jpg
    9T4A6417_v2_compressed.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 9T4A6323_pink_victorian_2014-02-17_compressed.jpg
    9T4A6323_pink_victorian_2014-02-17_compressed.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 110

rblakemore

Celtic stone finial

When I look at the finial from inside the cap, I see a metal top. Either there is a metal top/cap on the final that the stone fits in or there is a metallic base on the stone.

Dan Masshardt

When I look at the finial from inside the cap, I see a metal top. Either there is a metal top/cap on the final that the stone fits in or there is a metallic base on the stone.
thanks

The stone is most likely glued right into the top Bummer

Although I've never heard anybody else ask Maybe I'm alone :)

eliasbboy

Okay. I got bored and popped off the jewel. You can absolutely make a custom finial. The metal that you see when looking into the top is simply a mirror like paint on the bottom of the piece of green plastic that is the jewel. After popping it out there is a hole there to accept a finial post.

20140409_171909.jpg

20140409_171839.jpg

Dan Masshardt

Okay. I got bored and popped off the jewel. You can absolutely make a custom finial. The metal that you see when looking into the top is simply a mirror like paint on the bottom of the piece of green plastic that is the jewel. After popping it out there is a hole there to accept a finial post.

Thank you very much. That's exactly what I wanted to see.

I appreciate it.

Tom T

Thank you also from hear. Dan made me want to know also. If I understand what you are saying the tip is plastic also?

Top Bottom