Edible Pen Constest!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

WHA WHA WHAT!?!?!

Yes..you heard me...Edible Pen Contest! You can't have a birthday without food and family! Maybe it's too cold for you to work in your shop, or maybe you just need a break to have some real creative fun with the family..the Edible pen contest allows you to make a pen in your house and with your wife, kids, grand kids, as many family members can be involved as you like!

What is an edible pen? It's not a bone, it's not raw hamburger, it's a pen that you can eat immediately after it is built and photographed exactly as it sits. I don't know people that eat bones. Cooked hamburger would be fine, raw would not be. Candy, fruit, vegetables, chocolate, baked stuff...whatever you can think of that you can eat right now, is your edible pen. A CA finish will not be required..you can't eat CA so don't even bother using it. Find an edible way to assemble your food.

Does my pen need to write? Of course not. This is fun and family time. Your pen does not have to work. If it does work, it can't work using ink, because that is in-edible. No pen kits are to be used..you shouldn't eat metal. Your pen must however look like a pen...in some kinda way at least we have to be able to tell you are mimicking a pen but using edible materials. So..your pen must have a nib of some kind. Doesn't matter if the nib is a carved peanut.

This contest will be judged by three people, my wife, my daughter and myself. Since I can't compete and run the contest at the same time, this will be a family moment for us. We will judge each pen individually. No pens are compared to any other pens. We are using a point system to judge each individual pen. The opinions are sure to be wildly different..I don't believe any one of you can make all three of us feel the same way about an edible pen.

Points are this:

50 points for difficulty level. Yes, this is subjective, but that's just the way it is.

50 points for presentation. Yes, this will be subjective too...have too much fun and it might turn off one of the judges, but might turn on another one..who knows!

5 bonus points! If you pen has a clip, function not necessary, you automatically get 5 points.

5 bonus points! If you use a lathe for any part of your pen, like say chuck a peanut to make a nib cone..you get a bonus 5 points.

This is a total of 110 points possible, per judge, making the total possible 330. Top 4 people will receive a box with MM's and perhaps some other edible snacks...courtesy of my wife.

Enter your pens in this thread. You can enter two pens max...but enter each pen individually. Be sure and describe your pen. We can't read minds. If you spun a peanut, we need to know.

Deadline for contest is Sat Feb 20 at midnight.

:party: party on!

David M

SDC12523-1.jpg

if not for the ca and metal parts , this was made with candy nerds . it was also in the bash a couple years back .
David

workinforwood

SDC12523-1.jpg

if not for the ca and metal parts , this was made with candy nerds . it was also in the bash a couple years back .
David

Can you do that though without the kit and the glue, and still resemble a pen in some artistic fashion? This is not a casting contest..you can't eat plastic. I think kids are the real key to success..they are un-tapped pure imagination. If you could make a mold that looks like a pen, pour nerds and liquid candy in it then cool it down...that would be cool.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Jeff,

You gonna award extra points if the pen is in the "writing orientation"?? (tipped at roughly a 60 degree angle)???

workinforwood

Hey Jeff,

You gonna award extra points if the pen is in the "writing orientation"?? (tipped at roughly a 60 degree angle)???

uh....no...but I can tell you that one of the judges...me...loves cheesecake! You make a pen from cheesecake, you might score a few more points from this judge....but the 9 yr old hates cheesecake..so the maybe extra points might get canceled out! :)

Presentation is going to be really fun. I have no idea what the other two judges will like. One might say your "pen" displayed at 60 degrees in a pool of chocolate sauce is really amazing and another might say it's too busy, and one might think it's too simple...no matter how you present your pen, I guarantee it's going to be a crap shoot. The better quality photographs will likely help sway judges of course..because a blurry image is no fun to look at, but other than that, I have no idea..I don't even know what kinda mood I'll be in that day..maybe 6 million nerds glued to a paper background will make me laugh or make me sick. Just take your chances and have fun. If you build an edible pen with your family...the time spent makes you a winner no matter what the outcome of the contest.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Now here's a contest that I WILL be entering:biggrin: Thanks Jeff!!!

Yummie!!!!:cake:

Don't say anything.... but even though my missus is a fantastic cook....she has had one or two 'experiments' that you could actually have written with.........carbonized:wink:

bbuis

Edible Snowman Pen

This is my Edible Tribute to the Blizzard of 2011. It is marshmellows and little sprinkle pieces with an aluminum foil hat. It has a Cross Refil in it and toothpicks for arms and to clean your teeth.

Pioneerpens

Slim Jim Pen

slim pen made of Slim Jim with Pillsbury dough slightly baked for the clip, centerband and tip. A piece of spagetti holding both pieces together.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 217

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Less than SEVEN HOURS into the contest and you got a pen, already!!! Congrats on a great start to your contest, Jeff!!!!

Jennifer---That is AMAZING----if you don't win the mmmms, let me know, I'll send you a bag!!! (of m's)

workinforwood

That's cute and funny...but does not qualify. You can't eat tooth picks, cross refills and aluminum foil. You do not have any kind of nib cone to give it a pen like look. See the post below yours..that's 100% edible and resembles a pen.

This is my Edible Tribute to the Blizzard of 2011. It is marshmellows and little sprinkle pieces with an aluminum foil hat. It has a Cross Refil in it and toothpicks for arms and to clean your teeth.

randywa

salad pen

This beauty sports a carrot upper and lower body with a stylish green olive center band and cucumber clip. All parts are held together with a stabbing of spaghetti. It went really well in my chef salad. I hope the winner doesn't need to make a personal appearance.

Attachments

• Picture 121.jpg
    Picture 121.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 122.jpg
    Picture 122.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 88

el_d

double bubble

Well the families been brainstorming and we came up with this. A pre-chewed pen. I know its not supposed to be actually digested but it hasn't stopped my dog from gobbling them up. Or the kids, by accident.....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• bbgumpen.jpg
    bbgumpen.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 147

RyanNJ

I'll get in on this one.
Nib: Hersey kiss with a piece of spaghetti inserted
Lower Barrel: Brownie with MM heart inlay
Centerband: Life Saver
Upper Barrel: Cheerios
Clip: Starburst
Cap: Roasted Potato
DSCF3784.jpg

DSCF3785.jpg

toddlajoie

I'll get in on this one.
DSCF3784.jpg

DSCF3785.jpg

If you can get it to write, it'd be a shoe in for the ugly pen contest too!!!

I was thinking it was a pretty "sweet" pen, till you mentioned the potatoe:eek:

hasha2000

String Cheese FP

For this pen I took two pieces of string cheese, cut both down to size, and with a broken scroll saw blade, I hollowed out the cap and space for the nib on the main body. Using a gold fish cracker for the nib it self. For a added touch of class, I inlayed "IAP" with mild cheddar cheese. Although IAP isn't cheesy, this FP is very much so.

Without further ado here's my CHEESY contribution!!!
167660_1830415162372_1300143158_2085292_229822_n.jpg

RyanNJ

It writes when I heat up the Hersey kiss with a lighter

I'll get in on this one.
DSCF3784.jpg

DSCF3785.jpg

If you can get it to write, it'd be a shoe in for the ugly pen contest too!!!

I was thinking it was a pretty "sweet" pen, till you mentioned the potatoe:eek:

toddlajoie

For this pen I took two pieces of string cheese, cut both down to size, and with a broken scroll saw blade, I hollowed out the cap and space for the nib on the main body. Using a gold fish cracker for the nib it self. For a added touch of class, I inlayed "IAP" with mild cheddar cheese. Although IAP isn't cheesy, this FP is very much so.

Without further ado here's my CHEESY contribution!!!
167660_1830415162372_1300143158_2085292_229822_n.jpg

Now if you could have done the full IAP logo on this, you'd have a shot in the Anything Goes photo contest also...

MartinPens

Segmented Starburst with "Dots" cap. : )

OK, this was one sticky proposition! And Yummy.

Churchill - Fiesta Starburst candy segmented, assembled, shaped and reassembled with "Dots" cap and pina colada starburst clip.

I tried "Now and Laters" but it shattered out of the freezer.

Completely edible in every way. Still in my freezer for the kids to fight over after the contest concludes.

Did I mention sticky!!!!!?????

Martin

Attachments

• A_starburst2-8921.jpg
    A_starburst2-8921.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 71
  • A_starburst2-8922.jpg
    A_starburst2-8922.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 44

MartinPens

Now and Later Tootsie pen

Tootsie roll center. Tri-color Now and Later outside with "Dots" ends. The clip is "Big Hunk" nugget with some tootsie roll bling.

Way too much fun. I have a sugar headache, so I'm done.

Enjoy

Martin

Attachments

• A4_NowLater-8923.jpg
    A4_NowLater-8923.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 47
  • A3_NowLater-8924.jpg
    A3_NowLater-8924.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 29
  • A2_NowLater-8925.jpg
    A2_NowLater-8925.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 15