Why cant I get a good reverse paint with Lucite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dansills

dansills

Thought I had it .. But then the dreaded 'checking'. Use epoxy to glue the tube an tinted the epoxy? Sorry for the bad pics ... iPhone and regular lighting

Attachments

• image-2990929560.jpg
    image-2990929560.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 191
  • image-1839122966.jpg
    image-1839122966.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 234
  • image-584037880.jpg
    image-584037880.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 160
  • image-3950144977.jpg
    image-3950144977.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 141
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

What kind of drill did you use? I only see one spot in the one picture, it could be that your drill was grabbing and chipping when you drilled the hole.

Chasper

I don't know how you applied the paint, but assuming you got a good coat of full coverage, it looks like you scraped some paint off when you inserted the tubes. Use sharp drill bits so you get the smoothest hole possible. Use a round file to smooth out the inside of the hole even more.

If you sprayed the paint you would not have noticed that there were rough areas on the inside. If you used a q-tip as a paint brush you would have felt the rough spots. It is built up paint on the rough spots that get scraped off.

Hold your finger over one end, look into the other end. If there is any light you missed a spot.

dansills

jd99 said:
What kind of drill did you use? I only see one spot in the one picture, it could be that your drill was grabbing and chipping when you drilled the hole.

It's in that one section of the pen but all the way around. I'm thinking Chasper is right ... Gotta be drill bit markings. I use Norsemans so now i am going to try another lucite and sand the inside of the blank too.

moke

When I have a blank that I know is going to be a problem, like white, ivory, or even some of the greys...I do three different reverse painting techniques. First you always have to make sure the hole in the blank is clean and smooth inside, whether that involves using a file, running a bore brush in and out or what...this is critical in my mind. Then I always put two coats of acylic paints in the blank using q-tips. I spray paint the tube and mix testors paints into the epoxy....this may be overkill sometimes, but has paid off for over all consistancy for me. IMHO

ps...you stole our Police Chief!!! LOL-He is a great guy, enjoy.

Last edited:

brownsfn2

Did you turn the tube as you inserted it? I have noticed that I tend to scrape the paint when I turn the tube while inserting it when gluing. It is usually the leading edge that scrapes.

dansills

brownsfn2 said:
Did you turn the tube as you inserted it? I have noticed that I tend to scrape the paint when I turn the tube while inserting it when gluing. It is usually the leading edge that scrapes.

Yes, I did. That could be it but the checking still leans me toward drill marks

dansills

moke said:
When I have a blank that I know is going to be a problem, like white, ivory, or even some of the greys...I do three different reverse painting techniques. First you always have to make sure the hole in the blank is clean and smooth inside, whether that involves using a file, running a bore brush in and out or what...this is critical in my mind. Then I always put two coats of acylic paints in the blank using q-tips. I spray paint the tube and mix testors paints into the epoxy....this may be overkill sometimes, but has paid off for over all consistancy for me. IMHO

ps...you stole our Police Chief!!! LOL-He is a great guy, enjoy.

Probably overkill yes, but the way I am probably going to start doing it. Especially on lucite. Do you just get the spray paint color close to the acrylic color or use something darker?

SDB777

Moke(Mike), has given some great advise.

The title of this topic has me somewhat puzzled....are you only having trouble with this type of acrylic? Or all acrylics?

What kind of paint did you use? And how long did it have to dry? Did you 'cook it' for faster drying or anything?

I typically use the Fusion rattle can to get plenty of paint inside the blank, and then let it dry for a few days.....

Scott (Murphy's Law was here) B

dansills

Moke(Mike), has given some great advise.

The title of this topic has me somewhat puzzled....are you only having trouble with this type of acrylic? Or all acrylics?

What kind of paint did you use? And how long did it have to dry? Did you 'cook it' for faster drying or anything?

I typically use the Fusion rattle can to get plenty of paint inside the blank, and then let it dry for a few days.....

Scott (Murphy's Law was here) B

Only Lucite .. Using Delta Ceramacoat for paint and air drying for 24 hours

Top Bottom