Tx Flag Jr Statesman............

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lwalden

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwalden

I've put pictures of this style pen out here in the past, so from that perspective not much new.......except for the recipient of one of these. Bit of a story here, I'll try to keep it short. One of the Banks I do pens for gives out these in the cigar or baron style at all of their larger loan closings. Seems like one of the gentleman who did some refinancing recently with them is an old family friend of the Bushes, and served as one of George W's campaign finance managers early in his political career. He contacted the folks at the bank about a week after his deal was closed and mentioned he'd be going to Washington later this fall for a visit, and could he get another of the pens to take to his old friend. As you would guess, it'd be a little hard to say "No" to a request like that. These are the first of the flag pens I've done in the Jr Statesman vII, but I love that kit, and felt it would look more appropriate than the more oriental styling of the Emperor, Lotus, and Imperial kits. I decided to do a run of 4, in order to increase the odds of having a defect free (material, at any rate) result to send on. Got a feeling I might not have too much trouble selling the 3 remainders of this "Limited Edition" run. Should get a letter, picture, or both back after the visit. At any rate, comments or critiques (non-political, please) welcome.

2006106211617_100B4822a.jpg

2006106211639_1004850a.jpg

200610621173_100B4842a.jpg

2006106211723_100B4882a.jpg

2006106211740_1004890a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBone

Lyle,

Great batch of pens and a great story. How many people can say they made a pen for the President? Pens and the box look fantastic. If one day I can make a pen worthy of being in the same room, I'll be happy

Dan

Really nice work. How cool to have a story like that to tell...

We wood butchers would love to read your methods and techniques - after all, not many can say their pens have been to Washington!

lwalden

Thanks for the compliment- though I still put myself in the "woodbutcher" category, having been turning for right at one year now. Methods and techniques- learned most of them here, and continue to do so every week. As far as I know, Bill Lynch (Laser engraver in McKinney, TX) was the first to produce this design, and may have been working on it with Ron McIntire.
Originally posted by Dan
<br />Really nice work. How cool to have a story like that to tell...

We wood butchers would love to read your methods and techniques - after all, not many can say their pens have been to Washington!

Randy_

Originally posted by lwalden
<br />.....As far as I know, Bill Lynch (Laser engraver in McKinney, TX) was the first to produce this design, and may have been working on it with Ron McIntire.....

I think Ken Nelsen at www.Kallenshaanwoods.com came out with the first Lone Star pen; but his design is a little different than the one Lyle is using.

Randy_

Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />They are look fantastic!! I too love the box, where did you get the medallion on the inside of the lid made?

I'm actually more interested in the medalion on the outside of the box. Did it come from the same place??

Randy_

<br />.....I decided to do a run of 4, in order to increase the odds of having a defect free (material, at any rate) result to send on.....

Lyle: Not quite sure I understand the above comment?? I'm wondering what the blue material is and is that a scratch or just an optical aberration north of the clip on the pen in the box? I think I am seeing the same detail in several of the pictures??

lwalden

The Texas concho on the outside of the box is from a different vendor- there's a number of folks that carry it, but so far the best price I've found (factoring in the bulk discount for buying 50) is here:
http://www.sdtradingco.com/texasconchos/texaswstarhrspgp2.htm
$1.75 a piece at the 50 level.....and they carry quite a few different concho designs. The first couple I step drilled and used the screw to fasten from the inside of the lid. I've since found it's easier to remove the screw, grind off the threaded portion from the back, and just glue in place.
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />They are look fantastic!! I too love the box, where did you get the medallion on the inside of the lid made?

I'm actually more interested in the medalion on the outside of the box. Did it come from the same place??

lwalden

Randy- Not sure what timing was for Ken and Bill finishing their different designs, and as you pointed out they are different. I believe Don Ward worked with Ken to end up with a kit that is proportionately correct, where the one I am doing is obviously an elongated version. I think they both look great.

In doing the run of four I was trying to make sure I had several finished results to choose from, since you rarely know in advance what the grain and figure will look like at your finished size. I'm going to put a little larger version of that pen out in my album if you want to see the cap a little closer. The one in the box is blue dyed curly maple from Bill Baumbeck at AzSilh. I did 2 in curly maple and 2 in birdseye maple tops in order to have better choices. I think what you're refering to just north of the clip is inherent in the blank. When you look at the larger picture, you'll see that there are several lines that are the demarc point on the annual growth rings, that didn't take the dye as well as the more porous, faster growing portion from spring, summer, and early fall.
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
<br />.....I decided to do a run of 4, in order to increase the odds of having a defect free (material, at any rate) result to send on.....

Lyle: Not quite sure I understand the above comment?? I'm wondering what the blue material is and is that a scratch or just an optical aberration north of the clip on the pen in the box? I think I am seeing the same detail in several of the pictures??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom