Three from the weekend... and a question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jayk1998

jayk1998

I think these are #6, 7, and 8 overall since I picked up this lunacy about a month ago. (Of course, I've started several more and blown out blanks and all that good stuff....) These are also my first attempts at a CA finish that I would want to show anybody.

I made these specifically to go into a silent auction for a charity dinner in a few weeks that is put on by a friend.

Here's my question, I know the yellowheart and zebrawood... but what is the third one? I think I know (cocobolo? rosewood?), but I'm not positive. I want to know because #1, I want to be able to inform bidders what this is... and #2... I really like it and want to turn more of it. It came out of one of the Woodcraft 100 Mostly Exotic Pen Blank Assortments that were on sale right after Christmas, if that helps.

BTW... I am deeply in love with that yellowheart/gun metal combo, so much so that I made myself a slimline version that is now my personal pen.

o470b5q.jpg
7UVqYSw.jpg
L87FiP0.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

I remember seeing that box assortment in the store, but did not look at it too closely.

it could be a rosewood, or bubinga.

not cocobolo

OZturner

Nice Group of Pens Jay,
Good Blank and Pen Kit selection,
Excellent Fit and Finish.
If they were your first attempts at CA, you have it Nailed.
Congratulations,
Brian.

toddlajoie

My guess on #3 would be Bloodwood

For me at least, there is NO MISTAKING Bloodwood or Aftrican Blackwood when turning (and I have yet to have a difference telling those two apart visually :wink:...) They have a VERY spicy potpourri scent to them. So if that blank made your wife like your shop, then it was very likely bloodwood. My early experience with bloodwood would have said that there was too much variation in his pen for it to be, as the blanks I had were a deep and very consistent red, but lately I have seen blanks labeled Bloodwood/Satine that shows similar variation.

still, ooking at the image and knowing that it came from the 100 random blanks pack, my guess would be Bubinga also.

Damn nice looking pens too by the way...

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Very nice set of pens all the blanks fit well with the kits. I have to go along with what the others have said about #3 it's bloodwood and with you on the yellowheart and gun metal it's a great pairing.

BSea

I can not say for sure that it is cocobolo. Cocobolo has small voids in the gain. I haven't turned bloodwod, so I don't know if it's that or not.

And I'm with you on the yellow heart with gunmetal. That combination looks great. :good:

jayk1998

Thanks for all the good words.

I went out to the shop this morning and found the cutoff from that blank. It's a little dull on the outside... a really hard, dense wood, about like the yellowheart. Looking at the endgrain, it looks a LOT like this:
bubinga-endgrain.jpg

Bubinga.

shortz1lla

Definitely not Bloodwood. It has zero figure, the grain is more boring than rift sawn Hard Maple. It smells fantastic, and is ridiculously heavy and hard... I mean ridiculously.
If I were to caution a guess, I would go with one of the many "rosewood" labelled woods out there. It MAY be Bubinga (often mistaken for a rosewood), but my monitor is showing a rosy tint, and every piece of Bubinga I've worked is a rich, dark golden brown.

Top Bottom