Three Bolt Actions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jyreene

jyreene

Had some fun in the shop today since the kids cooperated with the wife.

This one is a mini chrome bolt action with galactic copper M3. Wet sanded all the way through MM and finished with the two step metal polish. This one cracked a little during assembly so I put it back in and sealed it with CA the. Redid all sanding and finishing.

image-2725148728.jpg

image-3067367501.jpg

This one is my first snakewood. It's on a black enamel bolt action. Wood was pretty easy to work with. Sanded through MM, used some walnut oil, and used doctors wood pen polish. That stuff is nice. I'll need to play around to get a better finish but this one is pretty good.

image-3904983239.jpg

image-4162115399.jpg

Last one is a good story. It's masur birch burl that my wife and I picked up at Izmailovsky Park in Moscow. Then because it was all punky and full of holes (we have a several pieces) I sent them off to Ankrum Exotics to get stabilized. Turned like a dream. Sanded through MM and finished with some walnut oil then Doctors. My wife noticed a crack that I didn't see from assembly. Upon disassembly the bolt sheered off. Which sucked. Thankfully I had one left of the exact same kit. So I fixed the crack and put it back on the new kit.

image-4045109677.jpg

image-1864575950.jpg

I sure love these kits. I'm almost out so now I have to order more! C&C welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

I hate the cold chill you feel when an expensive blank cracks on assembly...Great job and nice saves! Be ready to fix some cracks in the snakewood!

jyreene

I hate the cold chill you feel when an expensive blank cracks on assembly...Great job and nice saves! Be ready to fix some cracks in the snakewood!

First I've worked with it. Shouldn't sealing it and finishing it have been enough? The piece was purchased a few years ago.

Joe S.

I am no expert, but I have heard and experienced that snakewood will usually crack within a month of making the pen, but it should be ok after that.

Top Bottom